Talk

Advanced search

Went to Aldi today and thought it was shite

(31 Posts)
Monkeytrousers Sun 13-Jul-08 16:24:48

The milk was more expensive than at asda - about the same price as asda organic milk - the bread was terrible - someone had mentione organic carrots on another thread but I went in two seperate Aldi's today and there was nothing organic in any of them.

The satsumas were manky

Havent; tasted the beans yet...

Not impressed at all.

popsycal Sun 13-Jul-08 16:25:56

you have to know what to look for
i rarely buy soft fruit there
other than plums

do a search for threads with aldi in title - loads of recommendations for good stuff

CaptainKarvol Sun 13-Jul-08 16:28:04

Agree. Went with a shopping list of 32 items, could get 17 of them at Aldi - the rest had to come from Sainsburys round the corner. Of the things I did get from Aldi, the satsumas were going mouldy, the sweetcorn was flabby, stodgey muck, the spuds were full of black bits and the rest was OK. Couldn't get any free range meat, lentils, soya products (except basic soy milk), unpackaged veg etc etc.

Monkeytrousers Sun 13-Jul-08 16:31:22

We are veggies and they had v little too - no lentils or pulses. It not worth us going to two places as we'd pay more in petrol getting from one to the other and also fall out as DP hates driving so much

sarah293 Sun 13-Jul-08 16:34:16

Message withdrawn

ExterminAitch Sun 13-Jul-08 16:37:05

really? that's a shame. the veg at lidl is excellent, in all seriousness much better than yer average supermarket.

sarah293 Sun 13-Jul-08 16:37:59

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Sun 13-Jul-08 16:39:50

No Aldi here. Only Lidl.

brimfull Sun 13-Jul-08 16:41:21

lidl is the one for fruit and veg

ExterminAitch Sun 13-Jul-08 16:42:08

i would. i don't rate the meat there, though, funnily enough. i know people rave about the cold meats but i find them v salty. (apart from the pastrami which is fine). and i get fresh meat from the butcher [meat snob icon] wink.

cheeses are GREAT, tho, esp parm and they do two little three quarter packs of feta for a quid, which i find the perfect size for one geek salad.

ExterminAitch Sun 13-Jul-08 16:43:06

the veg tends to be locally sourced, i think, in lidl, which is also good.

Collision Sun 13-Jul-08 16:43:44

i love geek salad!! grin

ExterminAitch Sun 13-Jul-08 16:44:24

me too. grin

ExterminAitch Sun 13-Jul-08 16:44:34

and tabully.

KerryMum Sun 13-Jul-08 16:45:56

I buy:

popcorn
tortillas
sweets
feta cheese (1/3 of price at tesco)
tiramusu
peppers (3 pack .99 cent vs. 2.49 euro at tesco) and always good.
asparagus (1.29 euro vs. 2.99)
cucumbers
lunch meat
pizzas

generally. If there is some produce that looks ok I'll give it a go. Have also bought some of their antipasto but haven't tried yet.

VERY good value is their frozen fish (plain, just steam)

Kbear Sun 13-Jul-08 17:02:23

I used to be a terrible snob about Aldi and Lidl grin

I went in Aldi yesterday to check out their fruit and veg - my local one had:

Blueberries for £1.69 - £2.99 in Tesco. Strawberries £1.48 - £1.98 in Tesco.
Cucumber - 49p - 75p in Asda
2 Romaine lettuce - 99 - £1.98 in Asda
Fab "best" sausages 99p - £2.48 in Asda (and yes I did compare ingredients)

Nice deli selection too and houmous & stuff cheaper.

I always use their washing powder now too.

I was impressed but I did only buy a few bits.

Couldn't do a whole weeks shopping there but you have to save a bit here and there especially with the rising costs in supermarkets. We are the new thrifties!

ecoworrier Sun 13-Jul-08 17:04:38

Must admit, I agree. I only go when we need to get stuff for school fund-raising events, and sometimes I've got a few things for myself as well.

On the whole I've been massively disappointed. Some of the cold meats (not cheapo ones) have been really awful, the fruit and veg not great, and some other stuff very average.

Funnily enough, the one thing our family did like were their cream crackers!

We aren't veggies but eat loads of fruit & veg and pulses, and Aldi is really rubbish on this score.

SqueakyPop Sun 13-Jul-08 17:23:43

I only go to Aldi/Lidl if I am interested in their themed specials.

While I am there, I will get fruit juice, coffee, a selection of continental cheeses, pasta sauce, pasta, antipasta, tuna snacks - plus something for that day's evening meal (eg pizza or lasagne). I will buy milk and bread because I cannot go into a supermarket without buying these.

I avoid biscuits, but if I were to buy them, I'd stock up on them here. They have a great selection. Sweets are good too.

lovecat Sun 13-Jul-08 20:33:01

They had pineapples for 69p the other week and they were laaarvely. Generally prefer Lidl for fruit/veg, though - not as cheap but better quality.

TheMadHouse Sun 13-Jul-08 20:38:36

Our local one is great, the fruit and veg is OK and really good value, espeically the amount we go through.

The cheese is great too.

Their beans and sausages have less salt than Heinz.

I have a standard list that I get their.

The nearest Lidl is miles away

candyfluff Mon 14-Jul-08 10:08:17

i hate aldi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ledodgy Mon 14-Jul-08 10:09:19

My organic carrots were from Lidl not Aldi I only got nappies, wipes and face/body stuff from aldi.

candyfluff Mon 14-Jul-08 10:09:31

sorry thats rude isnt it but me and my daughter had food poisoning from some hot dogs from there and we havent been in there since

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 14-Jul-08 10:19:39

I don't buy milk from Aldi as I think its expensive. I find they have too much 'deli' and centre aisle bargains and not enough, well things to make a meal out of !

I am a champion frugal shopper but I just don't feel like Aldi suits my shopping habits.

I do lidl for fruit, veg, basics, cereals, Netto for branded stuff, milk, dairy products.

BUT I NEVER BUY BREAD IN ANY OF THEM AS ITS ALWAYS CRAP.

Use a local bakery or breadmaker.

None of the cheaper places can carry such extensive stock as Sainsburys Tesco etc. So we can't assume we will roll up there and fill our trolleys with a full tesco type shop, cos it ain't gonna happen. You have to split your shopping between whichever store you are nearest/passing etc and stock up. So that way you don't trail round each of them each week in order to 'do the family shop'

everlong Wed 16-Jul-08 11:51:07

Thought I would give aldi a try today too. Usually shop at sainsburys and spend around £110 a week for a family of five...

Anyway bought the usual stuff apart from chicken and pizza and it came to £47, which is good.

Agree that the fruit and veg didn't look great, so just bought blueberries (£1.19) pears and bananas, oh and raspberries, they were £1.29.

Will see what the gang thinks to it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now