Talk

Advanced search

Recipes for relatively healthy cereal bars for toddlers?

(11 Posts)
MummyToOneForNow Fri 11-Jul-08 22:41:14

My 19mth old dd has developed a liking for the Organix cereal bars and I was thinking about having a go at making something similar - does anyone have any recipes for oat based chewy-textured bars that don't have too much (or any added sugar) - the organix ones seem to be mostly oats and dried fruit?

mumonthenet Sat 12-Jul-08 21:27:06

don't have any recipes but couldn't you invent something based on the choc crispy recipes?

i.e. oatflakes mixed in with melted honey (maybe a tiddly bit of butter) plus raisins.

sure someone will come along with a real recipe!

Orinoco Sat 12-Jul-08 22:07:13

Message withdrawn

Love2bake Sat 12-Jul-08 22:25:31

I know Nigella does a great breakfast / cereal bar using condensed milk. I dont have the full recipe though.

RoRoMommy Sat 12-Jul-08 22:27:50

Is there something wrong with the Organix ones? My DS loves them, too.

MummyToOneForNow Sat 12-Jul-08 23:06:11

Nothing wrong with them - they are excellent - just a bit pricey when she gets through so many! I'm not very adventurous at making up recipes but they do have the proportions of the ingredients on the back so I might have a stab at just throwing them all together - my guess from looking at the texture is that the raisins would be blitzed with the fruit juice concentrate and oil then used to bind the oats together (as you would with a choc crispy type recipe).

If I can find some fruit juice concentrate in my local health food shop I will have a go and let you know how I get on!

RoRoMommy Mon 14-Jul-08 21:38:00

So...how did it go? Did you manage to make them? Were they palatable? I don't even know what a blitzed raisin looks like, so I think I'll just have to keep getting the organix brand!

RoRoMommy Mon 14-Jul-08 21:38:01

So...how did it go? Did you manage to make them? Were they palatable? I don't even know what a blitzed raisin looks like, so I think I'll just have to keep getting the organix brand!

FrannyandZooey Mon 14-Jul-08 21:41:41

I did this MummytoONe and it worked ok except they were rather squidgy and not so 'together' in consistency as the organix ones
they sell fruit juice concentrate in Sainsburys in the baby section

MummyToOneForNow Tue 15-Jul-08 21:53:34

Sorry for the delay in replying - couldn't find fruit juice concentrate (don't have a Sainsbury's close by with will look in the baby section of our Tescos) so have only just made my first attempt this evening. I found something called Agave Nectar - an organic natural sweetener - they had this in Tesco, Waitrose and Holland and Barrett so presumable fairly mainstream.

My initial attempt (small quantities - made 6 bars)

90g rolled oats
70g raisins
20g sunflower oil
20g agave nectar
1 tbsp apple juice
1 tsp cocoa powder

Blitz the last 5 ingredients together (I used mini chopper bit of my hand blender) then mix with oats.

(this took a fair bit of mixing as the mixture is very solid)

Spread into the bottom of a loaf tin lined with foil and greased.

Bake in oven at 180 for approx 20-25 mins.

Allow to cool slightly and cut into fingers.

The texture came out fairly well but the flavour was a little bland - I think it needs much more cocoa so I will increase this quite a bit next time.

Will see what dd thinks of them tomorrow!

MummyToOneForNow Tue 15-Jul-08 21:57:35

Oh and RoRoMummy - I am an expert in blitzed dried fruit (raisins, prunes etc) from when dd has been constipated - magic cure grin - soak in a little boiling water first then blitz with hand blender

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now