Talk

Advanced search

Alternatives to Bourbon.

(12 Posts)
falcon Fri 11-Jul-08 20:38:50

I'm planning on making Nigella's caramel croissant pudding tomorrow and the recipe calls for 30 ml of Bourbon.

I don't like cooking with alcohol, also I'm reluctant to spend money on a full bottle of Bourbon when I'll use only 30 ml and likely never touch the rest.

Is there anything I could use instead? More milk or cream perhaps or another liquid?

RubySlippers Fri 11-Jul-08 20:40:28

can you use another spirit like brandy or rum?

oooh - perhaps you can get a minitaure bottle of bourbon?

expatinscotland Fri 11-Jul-08 20:40:55

Why not buy one of those tiny, one shot bottles of bourbon.

I wouldn't add in something else or substitute because the alcohol generally cooks or bakes off.

You can omit and see what happens.

foxinsocks Fri 11-Jul-08 20:40:59

you can get itsy bitsy bottles

or just leave the alcohol out altogether

lulumama Fri 11-Jul-08 20:41:31

spooky ! made that tonight! grin

the bourbon does add something to it, but you could use half the amount as it was quite a strong taste , get a miniature bottle as ruby suggests

falcon Fri 11-Jul-08 20:54:25

A miniature bottle is a good idea, Should be able to get those in any off licence shouldn't I?

That is weirdgrinHow did it taste Lulumamma?

It looks so good but is it worth making it? And will it serve 4?

lulumama Fri 11-Jul-08 20:55:48

it tasted goooooooooood!

and really very easy

i doubled the quantities as i had lots of mini croissants and some mini pain au chocolat left over

you can get miniatures in the off licence

falcon Fri 11-Jul-08 21:04:37

It'd be truly heavenly if made with pain au chocolate, I;ll have to try that next time.

Also I only have vanilla double cream, I hope it won't be too sickly if I use that and not plain double cream.

lulumama Fri 11-Jul-08 21:27:44

i would use less alcohol if using vanilla cream, only that you don;t want too many strong flavours in there

falcon Fri 11-Jul-08 21:30:48

Thankyou, good advice.

15 ml should suffice then?

lulumama Fri 11-Jul-08 21:39:01

i should think so, it is a strong flavour

hope it is delicious smile

falcon Fri 11-Jul-08 22:10:29

Thankyou for the tips.

I'm sure it will be delicious, though it'd even better with pain au chocolat.envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now