Talk

Advanced search

Should I freeze the birthday cake??? Help!

(9 Posts)
hotcrossbunny Thu 10-Jul-08 20:08:17

Have made a traybake madeira style cake for dd's 5th birthday party on Saturday.

It's all cooled and seems OK. Party is Saturday morning, so would prefer not to cut and ice it that morning (its going to be a butterfly hopefully). So should I wrap it up and freeze it until tomorrow when I'll cut and ice it, or could I just wrap it up well and put it somewhere cool for tonight and most of tomorrow? Have never frozen cake before.... Also could I make fairy cakes tonight and freeze them too????

Slubberdegullion Thu 10-Jul-08 20:11:30

Well I have 3 tray bakes in the freezer atm waiting to be iced on monday pm for dd2's birthday party on tuesday.

So if you can't freeze cakes then I'm buggered grin

chocolatespiders Thu 10-Jul-08 20:11:47

i wouldnt freeze it

it will be fine/ lush for saturday, just wrap well in film or foil...

ChippyMinton Thu 10-Jul-08 20:12:53

madeira cake keeps well so it should be fine to wrap until saturday.

hotcrossbunny Thu 10-Jul-08 20:32:08

Thank you for your quick replies! Am imagining wrapped well it should remain reasonably moist. But have read freezing it makes it easier to cut into shape?

Would have made it tomorrow, but have sports day and friends coming for the afternoon...

hotcrossbunny Thu 10-Jul-08 20:48:16

Shameless bumpblush

Should I make the fairy cakes tonight? Will they keep til Saturday?

Am not an experienced cook at all.

chocolatespiders Fri 11-Jul-08 12:19:07

i dont know sorry.... you ma have already done them but bumping for you anyway

enjoy the party

Tinkjon Fri 11-Jul-08 13:09:11

Both can definitely be frozen and will be fine, especially for kids, who will only lick the icing and then crumble the rest on the floor anyway But personally I wouldn't bother freezing either as the party is only 48 hours after you made them (think that's right?) Well-wrapped Madeira will easily keep for a week or longer without drying out and fairy cakes will be fine for a day or two.

Enjoy the party!

hotcrossbunny Sat 12-Jul-08 21:46:38

Thank you everyone. I didn't freeze them in the end. I wrapped the cake up in cling film and in foil and put it in the fridge. We ate it today and it was still nice and moist and yummysmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now