Talk

Advanced search

Barbie cake, I need your help please!

(24 Posts)
pickie Wed 09-Jul-08 20:28:56

I have bought one of these barbie tin and wondering if anyone has used these before and perhaps give me some advice?

Will the cake stick to the pan as assume it will be tricky to get it out in one piece? Also do you break a Barbie in half and just stick it on or make a circle in the middle and place the whole Barbie in it?

And do you think it would be a good idea to slice the skirt in 2 layers and place jam/cream on it to avoid it being dry?

Last but not least what quantities should I use for a sponge cake?

Will do a few trail bakes but normally not very good in these things but would love to see DD's (will be 3) face if she gets a real barbie cake!

many thanks for reading this far!

Thankyouandgoodnight Wed 09-Jul-08 20:34:04

Bumping for you!

pickie Wed 09-Jul-08 20:48:59

thanks for the bump grin

fryalot Wed 09-Jul-08 20:51:57

I have absolutely no idea to any of your questions.

BUT... I would suggest using a full barbie, then she can play with it afterwards, if you're slicing the cake in half to put the doll inside, you may as well put jam and/or cream in between the two halves of cake as well.

I would deffo do a few trial runs and see what works.

It looks wonderful, and I think her face will be fab!

hockeypuck Wed 09-Jul-08 20:52:16

Can't help with the cake - have never dared try it.

But, you need a special cake release spray from Lakeland for the tin. Just spray it in and the cake pops out no problems!.

cake release

ChippyMinton Wed 09-Jul-08 20:54:31

my mum did one of these for DD. She hollowed out a deep hole through the centre of the cake to stick barbie in (wrapped to her waist in clingfilm). She did worry the cake would collapse, but one the icing was on it was fine.

babblington Wed 09-Jul-08 20:55:03

Wiltons cake release is fantastic for getting cake out of tin- can get it from lakeland.
Quantities are HUGE - I needed enough for a 10 inch round cake to fill all of it.
Wrap barbies legs in cling film and stuff her in - but she might still be too tall - I just iced over her hips as well as the cake.
Probaby a good idea to half fill with icing - i wasn't brave enough on my first or second attempt! Hope this helps!

pickie Wed 09-Jul-08 20:57:26

thanks for the tips! I was thinking of 'coring the cake' (like an apple IYSWIM)and then insert the barbie and then half it horizontal for the cream ( might be making the cake too fragile and it could collapse?)

Thanks for the cake release link, will get some!

girlandboy Wed 09-Jul-08 21:04:10

Just wanted to say that I can remember in the 1970's a friend of mine had a cake like this for her birthday party, and I was really impressed with it. It must be about 35 years ago, but I still remember it! It must have made an impression. The girlies will love it.

Just to second the use of cake release from Lakeland. It's very good.

I'd do a trial run with the slicing idea. It would certainly make the cake more moist, and you will be able to see if it collapses! I think if you split it and put in jam etc...THEN do the coring out for Barbie it may well work.

Good luck.

yorkiegal Wed 09-Jul-08 21:10:32

Hi does this help
wonder mold doll

PrettyCandles Wed 09-Jul-08 21:18:15

You might find the cake more stable if you halve it horizontally for the filling first, and then core each half separately before you fill and reconstruct it. Remember that Barbie's legs are very slim and tapered, so you may not even need to core the bottom half, just push the doll down into the cake layer.

You will probably need a 6-egg mixture (6 eggs, 12oz each of butter, sugar, flour) to fill it. But deffo do a ocuple of trial runs! Trial the slicing and coring, and the stability of the baribie, too.

What fun smile. I bet your dd will be totally delighted by the cake!

tortoise Wed 09-Jul-08 21:18:49

this is the one i made for DD1's 5th Birthday. I had to snap Barbies legs off (cheap naked one from charity shop!). And wrapped her waist bit in cling film.
I did cut it in half and put butter icing in before sticking it back together.

It took me hours to ice and decorate but she loved it. smile

bozza Wed 09-Jul-08 21:27:17

I made one for my DD's third birthday although I just used a pudding basin. I bought a cheap princess doll from Asda and pulled the legs off (they went back on afterwards). I used pink fondant icing that I rolled out and then draped over the cake. Then cut a hole in the icing/hollowed out a bit of cake before inserting the doll. I decorated it with lots of pink balls and icing flowers that I got from Asda. I think there is a picture on my profile.

pickie Wed 09-Jul-08 21:28:12

Ah hadnt thought of that (first halve it then core it!), that should be one less trail bake!

Thank you for the links! I normally do the baking and DH does the icing and he was a bit concerned wink but this will give him some ideas!

pickie Wed 09-Jul-08 21:29:29

wow Bozza, that is a fantastic lookig cake!!

pickie Thu 10-Jul-08 11:32:51

I have attempted to make the cake but it didnt cook quick enough in the middle, resulting a brown outside which stuck to the pan so came out in 2 pieces! Taste good though so am off to the shop to get berries and cream grin and will make another one tomorrow using tortoises receipe!

PrettyCandles Thu 10-Jul-08 13:07:20

Oven was too hot.

popmum Thu 10-Jul-08 13:33:24

I thought it would be tricky to cook.
We made one similar recently (see profile) and just did a large flat cake and cut it out and stacked it up to make the skirt.
Easier to cut and shape if frozen by the way. Doesn't look pretty when you cut it but probably easier than using a tin
Or if you use the tin cook it on a lower temp (as pc said) but for longer
good luck!

nooka Thu 10-Jul-08 13:48:21

I use a maderia /pound cake type mixture for birthday cakes that need sculpting as it is nice and dense and doesn't go stale as fast as a sponge mixture. It has a longer slower cooking time and doesn't tend to goo in the middle (my favourite bit in normal cake making!). The mix for a 1il/500g loaf tin is 4 oz butter/sugar (creamed) with 7oz self raising and two eggs mixed in slowly. Bake for an hour in the oven at 160/3. You still need to test with a squewer, and probably for a birthday cake which is more about how it looks than how it tastes I would err on the side of over rather than undercooking. Once cold you can cut this cake up and reassemble quite safely even into several layers if you like (as the shape has a wider bottom than top you are fairly safe on this front. I always put some strips of baking parchment wrapping right around and sticking out of the tin sides if I am worried about sticking because it gives you some levers to pull on (two or three strips depending on the size of the tin). My dd went to a party with this sort of cake three years ago, and still talks about it now!

pickie Thu 10-Jul-08 14:42:49

thank you all again for all your help& tips!Had oven on 4/5 and will try again on a lower temperature and just ordered cake release so hopefully attempt 2 will be much better!

Getting excited now as also ordered red chocolate hearts to decorate it (have barbie doll to go in the cake wearing a white dress with red hearts on it).

Popmum, great looking cakes, really like the Peppa Pig one!!

pickie Sat 12-Jul-08 18:22:19

attempt 2 is in the oven grin hope it comes out better then the 1st one!

pickie Sat 12-Jul-08 20:33:19

it worked! I have one beautiful shaped barbie skirt! Will try to cut it when it has cooled down and then hopefully freeze it till Friday!

Many many thanks for all your help

ZacharyQuack Sun 13-Jul-08 07:34:24

I have a similar tin (called a "Dolly Varden" tin in New Zealand) and have made several Barbie cakes for the DDs. I use a cake recipe that I usually cook in a large rectangular tin (a sponge roll) for 40 mins, and in the DV tin it takes about 1hour 20mins to cook.

I usually hack a cone out of the top of the cake and shove Barbie's legs in, however Barbie is taller than the tin so the cake only comes up to mid-thigh. I usually use a ballerina style Barbie with a short sticky out dress that covers the mess at the top of the cake, then slap on heaps of pink icing and sweeties.

I cover Barbie's legs in cling film, and also cover her upper body and hair with more cling film because I'm a clumsy icer. I don't fill the cake.

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Sun 13-Jul-08 07:44:29

tortoise thats the exact one I did for my dd. works a treat and is dead easy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now