Talk

Advanced search

Am I being unreasonable for not giving DD this lasagne.....?

(16 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Wed 09-Jul-08 19:32:29

DD is 18 months old.

Lasagne is bought from waitrose use by date 8th July (yesterday).

DH & I are having it for dinner tonight (one day over use by date).

DH thinks I should give leftovers to DD heated up tomorrow (we don't have a microwave so it would just be heated in a pan). I DISAGREE as it will be 2 days over use by date.

Age old argument - DH thinks I'm too cautious with use by dates etc and I think he just makes stuff up to suit him. He says us cooking it tonight will kill any bacteria. I used to work in micro so know it's not that simple but will he listen to me? No of course not. I did put it to him that if that were the case, we could eat it 2 weeks over provided we cook it well every now and again over that 2 week period....he said 'but that would be bad marketing hmm.

itati Wed 09-Jul-08 19:34:40

I wouldn't be eating it myself never mind giving it to a baby.

itati Wed 09-Jul-08 19:35:31

Anyway, won't he be at work tomorrow so he won't know what you feed her? Just tell him no.

Mutt Wed 09-Jul-08 19:37:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Seona1973 Wed 09-Jul-08 19:42:17

I wouldnt because by tomorrow you would have heated it twice and heating and cooling is one way to breed bacteria. With it being out of date I would definitely not be using the leftovers for myself never mind a toddler.

chloemegjess Wed 09-Jul-08 19:44:59

I would eat it myself, but definately wouldn't give it to my DD. I wouldn't take the risk, its just not woth it.

tissy Wed 09-Jul-08 19:47:17

heating and cooling won't breed bacteria if it's heated thoroughly and cooled properly.

It would be fine to feed dd with it

dh is right

2point4kids Wed 09-Jul-08 19:47:38

Totally agree.
I sometimes eat things myself 1 or 2 days past the date but I never give out of date things to DS.

itati Thu 10-Jul-08 11:46:26

What did you decide?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jumpingbeans Thu 10-Jul-08 11:48:17

You should have eaten it all so there were no leftovers

Thankyouandgoodnight Thu 10-Jul-08 12:27:10

Thanks everyone!

I accidently threw the last bit in the bin grin.

I know that I'm cautious but I did hope that I wouldn't be alone in my quest to not dish up reheated food 2 days over the use by date. The majority of you came in reassuringly similar to me, which made me feel much better!

FrannyandZooey Thu 10-Jul-08 12:28:10

yes the reheating thing is the problem
I wouldn't give a reheated ready meal to a child at any point

juniperdewdrop Thu 10-Jul-08 12:31:02

agree re salt

Thankyouandgoodnight Thu 10-Jul-08 18:25:47

The salt thing is fine as a one off IMO - I usually cook everything from scratch with salt levels very much in mind....

Turniphead1 Thu 10-Jul-08 18:43:35

I always think - if I end up comforting a child covered in vomit at 2am, will it be worth the time/money saving on that type of thing.

Would defo eat something like that myself day or two after use by but not the children. Due to selfishness really.

Use by is supposed to be a lot more absolute than best before (obv.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now