Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Home made chips....Can I do them in the oven?

(22 Posts)
chloemegjess Wed 09-Jul-08 19:00:32

Hello. Usually we have oven chips bought from frozen. We have recently been making home made but have been shallow frying them.

Can I do them in the oven? I am doing us some burgers in the oven for dinner and it would be easier if I could put the chips in there too.

Can you do home made chips in the oven? If so, do I just put the raw potato chips in the oven on a tray on their own? Or do they need to be pre-boiled? Or do they need some oil or something on them?

Thanks

Blandmum Wed 09-Jul-08 19:02:36

Cut a spud into chunky chips, toss them in oil, bake in oven for about 40 mins

easy

chloemegjess Wed 09-Jul-08 19:05:23

Great, thanks

itati Wed 09-Jul-08 19:07:10

Mine only take 20 mins but it does depend how thick you cut them. Thinner is healthier.

NotDoingTheHousework Wed 09-Jul-08 19:09:43

Message withdrawn

Blandmum Wed 09-Jul-08 19:09:56

Thicker is healthier, they absorb less fat per unit mass of potato

FluffyMummy123 Wed 09-Jul-08 19:10:41

Message withdrawn

palaver Wed 09-Jul-08 19:11:15

I always do them in the oven becasue I hate frying

palaver Wed 09-Jul-08 19:12:13

the kids will love 'em as long as your get the oven up high and make them crispy ( sprinkle with salt) shock

Blandmum Wed 09-Jul-08 19:13:42

Mine like them cod, but then, to limit the massive size of my arse, I don't have a chip pan, and the poor deprive kids know no better!

Given the chance I'd eat fried egg and chips with tomoto sauce until my arse was the size of the Albert Hall

sophy Wed 09-Jul-08 19:16:32

My kids love them cooked in oven, not much oil. We leave skins on too. it's the only way I ever make them.

chloemegjess Wed 09-Jul-08 19:22:01

Do you actually need the oil? I have put them in the oven with oil for now. But they would cook without adding anything, they would be heathly enough for my 6month old?

itati Wed 09-Jul-08 19:29:51

I thought thinner was as it was a smaller surface area to be oiled?

Blandmum Wed 09-Jul-08 19:34:11

Thinnier has a larger surface area to volume ratio

the smaller something is the larger the surface area to volume ratio....this is why single celled organisms don't need a respirartory system

Calculate the volume of a cube 1cm by 1cm by 1cm. Now calculate the surface area of all 6 of its surface.

Now do the same for a cube of 5cm by 5cm, by 5 cm.

See?

Trust me I'm a biology teacher! grin

Blandmum Wed 09-Jul-08 19:35:08

and the larger the surface area to volume ratio the more fat it will pick up per gram of potato

palaver Wed 09-Jul-08 19:35:38

you should really make them into spheres if you want to minimise the surface area wink

Blandmum Wed 09-Jul-08 19:36:54

Well, quite grin

Get out that melon baller now!

But think of the waste and the added carbon footprint! wink

chloemegjess Wed 09-Jul-08 19:37:21

I am pretty sure thicker is healthier itati - yes you have smaller surface area of one chip, but overall, you have more of them. Ie if you had 50g of potato, if you cut it up into chunky fingers, alot of that potato is inside the chip, so therefor has no oil on. If you cut 50g of potato into really thin fingers, the majority of the potato is being covered in oil.

Sorry, havent explained very well but I know what I mean! lol

itati Wed 09-Jul-08 19:37:34

I did trust you and wasn't doubting you! Just curious to be corrected. grin

Blandmum Wed 09-Jul-08 19:38:25

grin

only on MN could this conversation happen wink

itati Wed 09-Jul-08 19:40:00

Read that back, doesn't say what I was saying in my head. I was happy to learn is what I really meant to say!

moocowme Sat 12-Jul-08 21:25:22

yes i gave my home made oven cooked chips to my 6mo. he loved them and still does. I do give them a very light brush with oil to make them crisp.

we tart them up for ourselves with parika and things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now