Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Quantities for a BBQ for 50

(15 Posts)
fridayschild Wed 09-Jul-08 13:44:25

Well I didn't think so many of them would accept....

If there are 45 meat eaters, and I allow 2 sausages, 1 burger and 1 chicken thigh per person is that enough? some of the 45 are children but Ds1 would happily eat all that and he is only 5 years old.

They will get salads and pudding as well.

ClareVoiant Wed 09-Jul-08 13:59:06

thats plenty as some will not eat all that, and some will eat more. with salads and bread too, you'll prob find you'll still have food left over.

MamaG Wed 09-Jul-08 14:00:13

sounds fine

I'd do baked ptoatoes too as filling, cheap and can be all chucked in the oven together

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 09-Jul-08 14:00:45

People tend to bring food to bbq's surely?
That's how we do it, everyone brings either a ton of booze or a packet of sausages or a salad/ cake etc.

DrNortherner Wed 09-Jul-08 14:01:39

Sounds too much imo.

MamaG Wed 09-Jul-08 14:02:20

I always over cater and then look at mountains of food afterwards, mentally putting it in DH's lunchbox for a week grin

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 09-Jul-08 14:02:53

We also do a huge pot of chilli, a vegetable curry and have cooked cold rice, plus potato wedges. It's always popular as it's hard to keep everyone fed when the bbq can only hold so much meat.

ClareVoiant Wed 09-Jul-08 14:07:21

i suppose it also depends on who you have coming. if its all rugby style blokes then you'll need to allow per person.

if you have a good mix of men, women and kids, then you'd prob only need 60 sausages, 30 burgers and 30 chicken thighs if you didn't want to deal with left over food. especially as you have other food too.

chipo Wed 09-Jul-08 14:25:44

I had over 40 last weekend and I made more than that and did't have that much left over. I made
steaks
chicken
pork
some burgers
Boiled potatoes (dressed in some butter, lemon and chopped parsley)
4 types salad
rice (still warm)
plenty of pitta bread and french sticks

fridayschild Wed 09-Jul-08 16:49:43

thanks - I would rather over-cater than run out!

Weegle Wed 09-Jul-08 19:12:19

I've got the same number coming to a BBQ in a few weeks time - I've worked on exactly the same numbers as you plus rolls, pasta salad, green salad, cous cous salad and crisps. Then puds. Figure it must be plenty!

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 19:12:52

Don't forget the copious amounts of booze you'll need to get through this.

FluffyMummy123 Wed 09-Jul-08 19:13:15

Message withdrawn

ivykaty44 Wed 09-Jul-08 19:18:28

Have a mixture and buy some fresh meat that can then be frozen afterwards if you don't need it, i.e sausages, kebabs, salmon pieces, all can be vrought at supermarket and later freezed if not required.

People often come back for seconds and thirds at a bbq.

Make sure you light the bbq well in advance so that you dont burn the food - a lot of bbq people put on bbq then 10-15 mins later slap on the meat - burnt on outside and raw in the middle. If you light the bbq a goos hour before needed it will cook far better and not burn.

Cook the food a little at a time and get people eating as the food comes of the bbq - this way you will not have so much wasted meat.

chloemegjess Wed 09-Jul-08 19:30:34

I agree about the jacket potatoes. you can just buy a big, cheap bag of potatos, wrap them all in tin foil and shove in the oven and get out as and when needed.

The amount you said sounds fine though imo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now