Talk

Advanced search

*** PLEASE urgent baking advice needed ASAP ***

(12 Posts)
memoo Wed 09-Jul-08 09:50:22

sorry i'm such an idiot but i'm trying to make a cake for DP birthday, have never made one before cos he does all the cooking.

When it say ''cream sugar and butter'' what consistency should it be, should it look doughy????

and by the way i am hanging my head in shame for not knowing this

lulu25 Wed 09-Jul-08 09:51:57

it should look pale and fluffy

if it looks doughy your butter might be quite cold - keep at it until you think it is soft enough for you to be able to mix in the eggs

(this is not my favourite baking task. i use a mixer)

thumbwitch Wed 09-Jul-08 09:52:23

no, it should look like buttercream, light and fluffy and paler than thebutter was to start with. The lighter it is, the lighter the cake will be.

Uriel Wed 09-Jul-08 09:53:08

Should be pale. Cream it for longer than you think you need to, iywim.

TheProvincialLady Wed 09-Jul-08 09:54:16

Are you doing it with a wooden spoon? It takes ages that way and is such hard work. If you have an electric whisk, now is the time to get it out. If not then just think of the wonderful workout you are giving your right arm!

memoo Wed 09-Jul-08 10:04:46

I am doing it with a wooden spoon!!!!! don't have an electric whisk!!!

it is looking more like it should now, definately paler,

gona go and stir some more

thumbwitch Wed 09-Jul-08 10:10:25

you beat that stuff hard! Wooden spoon is HARD work but great for the muscle tone on the arm. I guess you could try switching to using a fork to really fluff it up

HolidaysQueen Wed 09-Jul-08 10:19:23

You've just got to keep going until your arm drops off

Creaming butter and sugar together is great exercise and it means you have used up enough calories to eat an extra slice of the cake without guilt...

memoo Wed 09-Jul-08 10:19:27

right ita been beaten to within an inch of its life!!! and is now in the oven, keep your fingers crossed! grin

thumbwitch Wed 09-Jul-08 17:09:58

well??? did it work out ok?

GoatisLOLing Wed 09-Jul-08 17:11:06

i soften the butter in the microwave and then do it. works a treat

memoo Wed 09-Jul-08 17:28:10

its not too bad, its certainly edible which is always a plus!

started to fall apart a bit when i was trying to get it out of the tin but its nothing that a bit of icing won't hide!! though i suspect it may fall apart the minute i put a knife in it to cut it up grin

thanks for all your help lovely mumsnetters, you're stars smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now