Talk

Advanced search

First Beaker

(38 Posts)
hayleylou Wed 02-Feb-05 08:53:01

Any suggestions for a 7 months old's first beaker..? Which one is best?

Evesmama Wed 02-Feb-05 08:53:47

avent are good cos you can move up with their age..dd uses sports cup by avent now.hth

Clayhead Wed 02-Feb-05 08:55:32

Neither of mine could work the avent ones, no idea why, they looked great to me!)

The only one they ever took to was the Tommee Tippee one. I think it might be called Easiflow ro something, the one in all the supermarkets.

Evesmama Wed 02-Feb-05 08:56:17

the avent ones have two 'teat'/mouth pieces..one is easier than the other, so would be best to start with younger one

Clayhead Wed 02-Feb-05 08:58:05

Evesmama, I tried both. Tried and tried and tried. It cost me a fortune!! Like I said, I have no idea why but they just couldn't seem to get any liquid out. dd couldn't manage the no spills cup either. I was gutted as I had to go out and get more cups...

pipsy1 Wed 02-Feb-05 09:02:07

Exactly the same as you Clayhead - have spent a fortune on cups and teats. Only success was Tommee Tippee. Have heard a few others say that too so I would say just start there and save yourself the expense hayleylou. I tried the Anywayup cup myself - and boy was it hard to get anything out so not surprised DD didn't manage!

charlie01 Wed 02-Feb-05 09:05:38

We only ever managed the tommee tippee one as well however friend with DD same age didn't like it as she (DD not friend!) hasn't got any teeth and she reckons you need to bite it to get the water out?

charlie01 Wed 02-Feb-05 09:05:38

We only ever managed the tommee tippee one as well however friend with DD same age didn't like it as she (DD not friend!) hasn't got any teeth and she reckons you need to bite it to get the water out?

charlie01 Wed 02-Feb-05 09:06:00

stupid laptop!

woodpops Wed 02-Feb-05 09:22:44

Mine have always had anyway up cups and they're fab!!!

Clayhead Wed 02-Feb-05 09:40:02

It seems that some kids show a preference for one type of cup but bloody annoying if it's the last one you buy!!

lockets Wed 02-Feb-05 09:43:07

Message withdrawn

PuffTheMagicDragon Wed 02-Feb-05 09:43:24

My two both liked Tommee Tippee (discovered this after paying out for avent and anywayup cups. Ds1 moved on to anywayup, but ds2 never took to them. He would get v cross because you need to suck really hard (in comparison to other beakers) to get the liquid out.

Lea2003 Wed 02-Feb-05 20:39:24

Like most people I tried all kinds - stuck with Avent green spouts for a while but started to have problems with the flow - some kind of air lock. By accident we picked up a Tommee Tippee and that was fine, although by 12 months she went onto their beaker with straw and her water consumption which was always low has tripled!

I suppose its whatever works ...but its never the first one you try is it?!

Hulababy Wed 02-Feb-05 20:41:00

The only beaker/cup we ever got DD to use succesfully and regularly was a Doidy cup from www.bickiebegs.co.uk It doesn't have a spout at all, buti is shaped to make picking up/putting down easier and less chance of spilling. One of only cups actually receommended by health centres.

Catbert Wed 02-Feb-05 21:09:34

I really liked (well, I suppose DDs really liked) the little Boots spout cups, because they have a small, soft spout, one hole, no valve or tricky sucking action, and you can kind of dribble a bit into their mouths first to give them the idea of what's expected!

Bugger to get the lids off though!

sweetkitty Wed 02-Feb-05 21:38:47

I use an avent cup with the valve taken out as recommended on mumsnet DD spills water everywhere and she likes spitting it back out again but hey it's fun!

kikidee Wed 02-Feb-05 21:53:01

Another vote for a Doidy cup. We tried loads of others with no success and I went for a Doidy as a last resort and it worked a treat. It was as if ds learned the correct technique with the Doidy and then we went back to the other cups. It is a bit of a pain to use as you need to hold it for them and he wanted to hold it himself but got soaked if I let him. We now use Heinz (v.good but hard to get hold of) and the Tommee Tippee free flow. The TT valve cup is a nightmare, I couldn't get anything out of it.

hayleylou Thu 03-Feb-05 07:51:23

I have just looked on bickiepegs website and they sell them on there... very interesting shape!!

lunavix Thu 03-Feb-05 08:26:13

We use the tommee tippee one (it's just a basic beaker with a lid and a folding teat/mouth bit) ds (now nine months) can't use the avent ones and when I tried I found it difficult so I can't blame him bless him!

I've heard good things about the doidy too but its more expensive than the tippee and at the end of the day they're only drinking out of it!

hercules Thu 03-Feb-05 08:30:26

I never got to grips with beakers as they all seem so hard to drink from. Doidy gets my vote too.

ghosty Thu 03-Feb-05 08:56:26

Does anyone know if these Doidy cups are available in NZ??????
I can't get DD to drink out of anything .... I have tried anywayup cups, the TT easiflow (should be called ImpossiblyDifficultFlow IMO!!), any kind of beaker that come to hand and the only thing she will sort of drink from is the TT basic one with the fold down bit .... but she takes the teeeniest sips ... hardly a drink.
She loves milk and loves her bottle and because she drinks so little water I am still giving her 3 bottles of milk a day to keep up her fluids ...

I had a brainwave the other day and let her watch me put the milk in her beaker .... she howled the place down, refused even a drop. I then put the milk back in the bottle and she downed it in no time.

The only thing we have had any vague success from is a sports bottle, but it is constant drip drip drip in her mouth. Incredibly tedious.

It is very frustrating as when DS was a baby he drank very successfully from anywayupcups from about 6 months .... and so I have drawer full of the things that DD won't use!!!!!!!!

poppy101 Thu 03-Feb-05 09:06:55

I am using a doidy cup from NCTSales for my child, starting him off young on it and he loves it. Contact the NCTSales online and ask them if they will ship out to you for a charge of ask if they can recommend a supplier closer to your country. I sure they will be helpful.

Hulababy Thu 03-Feb-05 11:09:57

Doidy Cup - yes, the site does allow you to odeliver to loads of countries, including NZ.

ghosty Fri 04-Feb-05 00:17:45

Thanks poppy and Hulababy ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now