Talk

Advanced search

what age can kiddies have olives??

(18 Posts)
champs Tue 01-Feb-05 20:58:05

hi all!!
have started eating olives and wondered when kiddies can eat them.

Amanda3266 Tue 01-Feb-05 21:00:57

Anytime they are able as far as I know. Only problem I can see is the small risk of choking but if they're cut up can't see any problems.

I love olives too - especially with olive oil, garlic and a squeeze of lemon - plus a glass of chilled white wine. Mmmmmmm!

Mandy

champs Tue 01-Feb-05 21:09:38

mmmmm minus the garlic tho. Thanks!!

piffle Tue 01-Feb-05 21:20:19

my dd has always had them and loves them I think the salt might be the only thing to watch out for maybe?

milge Tue 01-Feb-05 21:42:20

My two eat them happily in family suppers( genearlly sliced black or green olives). Not sure i would let them near my nice greek olives though, and life is too short to be stoning olives for your 2 year old dt's!!

Twiglett Tue 01-Feb-05 21:59:01

DS liked them from really early .. think he was about a year old

handlemecarefully Wed 02-Feb-05 10:06:54

Go for it but as Amanda says halve or quarter them

sweetkitty Wed 02-Feb-05 21:39:49

they have a high salt content so I suppose over a year for destoned ones would be fine

essbee Wed 02-Feb-05 21:47:12

Message withdrawn

californiagirl Thu 03-Feb-05 18:45:58

Since pickles were on the pediatrician's list of finger foods, I figured olives were also OK. DD adores them and has since about 7 months. I make sure they're cut up small enough not to be a choking hazard, and I don't let her have more than about 2 at a time, and that not every day, because of the salt.

Moomina Thu 03-Feb-05 19:09:06

Ds loves olives too and has done since about 10 months. I try to make sure I get the ones in oil rather than brine to reduce the salt content a bit and always cut them up (anyone see the awful toddler-chokes-on-grape story in the paper yesterday? ) but I say go for it!

Barbaloot Thu 03-Feb-05 21:19:45

Ds loved them from quite young. I remember I tricked him into putting his first two words together as he scoffed them down one lunchtime and demanded "More!". I innocently topped up his drink whereupon, after a pause, he announced "More olive". He gave up liking them at about age 2.

wild Thu 03-Feb-05 21:27:36

ds loves them (from about 18 months). He also thinks salad is a treat and will eat pickled onions and curry. About the only thing he won't eat is jelly

handlemecarefully Thu 03-Feb-05 21:51:35

Yes Moomina - did see that grape choking story. Chilling...

handlemecarefully Thu 03-Feb-05 21:52:14

Must admit have been giving them to my 2.6 year old whole. No longer though....

Prufrock Fri 04-Feb-05 21:38:12

DD had her first at 6 months and 2 days - she stole it off my pizza and I think it was teh first thing she'd ever actually reached for and got. She is now (2.9) an olive expert and goes up to the deli counter to choose her own. She once stood in Tesco's and said "they haven't got any nice olives today Mummy, can we got to Waitrose?"
She probably gets through a small pot per week (her record was 17 in one sitting), but I figure the salt isn't a huge problem as she eats hardly any processed food. (though she does like to accompany her olives with salami and houmous)

SofiaAmes Fri 04-Feb-05 22:26:40

Mine have been eating them since they started on solids at 6 mo. Like prufrock's dd, mine are now total experts. At 2 and 4 they can carefully eat their way around the pits and always ask for a bowl to put the pits in. Ds prefers green, dd doesn't discriminate based on color.

champs Sat 05-Feb-05 20:17:41

ty all!! I think I'll try him on some when I next eat some,
On another note, I have also discovered feta cheese!! I had a salad that had feta and olives. After that I started trying different types of cheese (I know how uncultured I was!!) ds1 and I love wensledale with chives.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: