Talk

Advanced search

the joy of thrift: recipes please

(6 Posts)
wulfricsmummy Sun 06-Jul-08 21:31:02

Message withdrawn

Love2bake Sun 06-Jul-08 21:41:28

Bit boring, but whenever we have eggs I always save some of the whites (no-one really likes them) and make merigue with them.

janeite Sun 06-Jul-08 21:42:27

I LOVE bread and butter pudding; I usually just buy crappy white sliced to make it and then doctor it with a good slug of brandy!

Cheapo recipes that go down well in the house of Janeite include:

Leek and potato soup - I make a huge panful that does two meals

Lentil soup - ditto

Pasta with a sauce made from fried onion (don't let it brown), garlic, parsley and melted cream cheese, thinned out with a bit of milk. Dp and I like mushrooms with it but the girls won't eat them.

Chickpea casserole and cous cous - I just chuckin whatever vege I've got needing finishing, plus ginger, cinammon, cumin, bit of honey, etc, tin of chickpeas, tin of tomatoes or tub of passata.

Our favourite leftovers meal (we rarely get leftovers because dp is a bit of a seagull) is fried up new potatoes with eggs and frozen peas!

Cies Sun 06-Jul-08 21:56:10

another good way to use up left over stale bread is with a gazpacho.

You do need to buy tomatoes and any other veg (cucumber, pepper, onion, garlic) you want to put in it, but just using up left over bread gives me a little happy feeling. grin

Jennster Wed 09-Jul-08 20:29:01

How about savoury bread and butter pudding. Use 4 cheese sandwiches with maybe some tomato or spring onion, and cover with 2 eggs and 1/4 pint of milk mixed together, left to soak and then baked for 25 mins. Made this the other day with left over brioche.

pickie Wed 09-Jul-08 20:32:04

Whizz them up into breadcrumbs and you can use them for extra bulk in burgers (beef or vegetable) or we use them as a topping on pasta (half grated cheese and breadcrumbs with thyme)as a healthier option as cheese only

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now