Talk

Advanced search

What could I cook with these ingredients?

(10 Posts)
emkana Tue 01-Feb-05 19:44:05

I have
one large leek
one large carrot
one small cauliflower
a few potatoes

I want to cook something with these ingredients tomorrow, so I can still go shopping and buy whatever else I need. Anybody got any creative ideas?

TIA!

lowcalCOD Tue 01-Feb-05 19:44:41

chicken casserole with mash and cauli

Poo2 Tue 01-Feb-05 19:45:59

Curry. Either veggie or meat. You would need curry paste, creamed coconut (block or tinned), tin of tomatoes, onion and red wine. Fry onion, add meat and paste. Brown meat. Chuck in everything else and enough water to get it to the consistency you want. Slow cook for as llong as poss. Eat with spoons - yum.

moondog Tue 01-Feb-05 19:47:59

Buy a few more root vegetables and a nice chicken then roast the veggies and chicken together.
Throw the cauliflower out. Booooooooring.

popsycal Tue 01-Feb-05 19:51:09

leek and potato soup

acnebride Tue 01-Feb-05 20:05:14

here's one, sort of! Needs a lot of other stuff. If your kids don't eat chili (mine doesn't) then you could always make cauliflower cheese)... It was originally a veg soup but doing it like this is easier.

buy: 1 more leek, 2 more carrots, 1 red chili, 1 can of kidney beans, 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 can tomatoes.

Heat 60 ml of oil gently (looks a lot IMO but it needs it). Chop the onion, garlic, carrots, leeks, chili and garlic and put them in the oil. Put a lid on and sweat all the veg for 10 mins until soft. Drain the tomatoes, keeping the juice, and put them in, mashing them into the mix. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes. Then add the can of beans with its water, and any more tomato juice or water you need to cover the veg. Bring to boil and simmer for 30 mins.

Tessiebear Tue 01-Feb-05 20:08:02

Leek and potato soup followed by cauliflower cheese

soapbox Tue 01-Feb-05 20:11:59

I would make vegetable gratin (posh cauliflower cheese)

Cut all veg into chuncky pieces (except leek) cook all veg until just cooked through. Put into baking dish.

Fry leeks until soft in a little butter (1oz) add 1oz flour and make into a roux. Add 1 pint of milk very gradually stirring all the time. Grate some strong cheddar cheese (how much depends on diet/no diet and taste). Stir most of it into the sauce, add a teaspoon of mustard and a grating of nutmeg(if you have it - don't worry if not).

Pour sauce over veg, scatter rest of cheese on the top and bake in a moderate over until top is golden brown and bubby!

marne Tue 01-Feb-05 20:12:32

I would put the veg in a cheese sauce (if you have cheese), put it in a dish top with sliced potatoes and bake in the oven!

tortoiseshell Tue 01-Feb-05 20:32:30

Definitely curry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now