Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

URGENT QUERY: What temperature should roast beef be in the centre?

(12 Posts)
Demented Sun 30-Jan-05 16:43:37

I've got some beef in the oven just now, I've never cooked roast beef before, and I wondered if anyone knew the temperature it should be in the middle when it is cooked (I've got a meat thermometer but can't find anything in any of my books that says what temperature a roast should be). I would like it to be medium/rare.

If you can help I would greatly appreciate it, it's suppose to be out in about 20 mins time.

TIA.

mears Sun 30-Jan-05 16:49:42

I have no idea but found this for you here

misdee Sun 30-Jan-05 16:56:07

we used to have to cook things to 8-degrees plus in the coffee shop.

Demented Sun 30-Jan-05 16:59:25

mears you are a star, I'm a bit that I didn't think of searching the net myself, tend to think of the internet beginning and ending with Mumsnet .

Looks like the beef should be about 65 C, although I'm not sure which of those charts applies but it should certainly be cooked at 65 C. Is this when I can confess I'm not sure if it was 100% defrosted, it was very difficult to tell, before it went into the oven hence my panic . BTW I would never do this with chicken.

Demented Sun 30-Jan-05 17:00:48

misdee, do you mean 80 C? Was that when reheating?

mears Sun 30-Jan-05 17:02:34

I have roast beef in the oven just now but we all like it cremated . No need for a thermometer when it is almost solid.

misdee Sun 30-Jan-05 17:04:46

most stuff was frozen/ready meal type stuff, and it has to be 80 degrees plus i'm sure (long time ago) then we'd have to keep it at a certain temperature. was a nightmare.

i'd go with the site mears said. looks good to me.

Demented Sun 30-Jan-05 17:05:27

Hee, hee! Mine will probably be cremated too if I don't get off of here!

Demented Sun 30-Jan-05 17:08:48

Just off to check the beef now.

DS1 has just announced it smells like macaroni cheese and he doesn't believe I've made roast beef. Bit worried now.

Demented Sun 30-Jan-05 17:14:11

It's only 9 C and it's supposed to be ready, must have still been a bit frozen, ooops!

Demented Sun 30-Jan-05 19:25:48

Beef was beautiful, thanks for the help. Just as long as we don't get food poisoning now we'll be fine.

sweetkitty Sun 30-Jan-05 21:32:16

we recommend 72 degreesC for at least 2 minutes

in saying that if you want a bit of pink it won't reach this temperature, the danger with beef and steak is from the outside of the muscle, the muscle itself is practically sterile the danger comes from contamination (from poo basically) on the outside, thats why if you have a steak black and blue it's ok

things like mince are more dangerous and have to be cooked thoroughly as they are ground up hence the contamination could be throughout the meat.

hope that helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now