Talk

Advanced search

when can eat birthday cake

(10 Posts)
hazlinh Sat 29-Jan-05 10:32:37

sorry if been asked before, but is it ok for a one year old to eat birthday cake ?

marthamoo Sat 29-Jan-05 10:33:23

Yes!

hazlinh Sat 29-Jan-05 10:35:18

thanks! that was swift

marthamoo Sat 29-Jan-05 10:37:08

It won't have nuts or anything like that on it, will it? Ds1's 1st birthday cake was Teletubbies...ahhhhhhh.

hazlinh Sat 29-Jan-05 10:40:04

no, i guess nuts are out of the question...so what are the 'safest' sort of cakes to introduce them to?

marthamoo Sat 29-Jan-05 10:41:44

Chocolate is always a safe bet - nice and messy. Or a Victoria sponge. Apart from nuts I gave mine pretty much anything from one (and I was more worried about choking than allergies) I assume the child in question has already had eggs/dairy etc?

hazlinh Sat 29-Jan-05 10:44:41

er actually dd hasn't had eggs yet but she has had yoghurt and cheese. i'm also a bit confused as to what age u can introduce eggs..and is it whites first or the yolk??

marthamoo Sat 29-Jan-05 10:49:22

Oh dear - it's getting technical here. I think eggs is 6 months, unless there is a history of allergies. I gave yolk and white at the same time - the only advice I was given was that the egg had to be cooked so well it would bounce off the floor. I would make sure eggs are not a problem before giving a cake with eggs in. Cream should be fine as she has had milk and yoghurt.

But I'm not an expert - have no experience of allergies and so I haven't ever been careful or wary of introducing new foods.

LIZS Sat 29-Jan-05 10:52:56

It is yolk first (used to mash into potato for dd). A plain victoria sponge or madeira cake is good for a first birthday - or you could do fairy cakes and lay them out in the shape of a 1 or decorate with the letters of her name .

hazlinh Sat 29-Jan-05 11:07:35

great advice, everyone, thanks a lot! must now go and give dd some egg yolk b4 her birthday next month!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now