Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas for a chickeny casserole in the slow cooker?

(12 Posts)
sassy Fri 28-Jan-05 10:11:59

Please

soapbox Fri 28-Jan-05 10:25:34

I like chicken and tarragon casserole.

Cut chicken into mouthful sized pieces and shake in a bag with seasoned flour. Brown in a frying pan with olive oil.

Put into slow cooker then sprinkle about another tablespoon of flour over the top.

Fry onions until soft in frying pan and add a couple of cloves of garlic towards the end. Put into slowcooker.

Then chop loads of root veg (carrot, parsnip, potatoes, sweet pots) then mushrooms, courgettes (I just chuck in whatever I have to hand).

Put it all in the slowcooker and mix up with the chicken and onions, then add a couple of handfuls of chopped taragon then stir in some chicken stock (to come about half way up the pot). Stir it all around - shove the lid on and leave it to cook. I usually give it a stir around every couple of hours if I'm around.

You can substitute other herbs (sage and/or thyme is yummy too).

I like it kind of wateryish but if you like it more gravy like then just add more flour at the beginning.

You could also try chicken in boursin sauce which is delicious too.

Cut chicken into slivery slices, cut up 4 carrots into matchstick sized pieces. Put chicken and carrots into the slowcooker. In a pan melt a whole boursin cheese with a large glass of white wine. Then pour into the slowcooker. Mix around then leave to cook.

Serve with rice.

Catbert Fri 28-Jan-05 10:29:20

Wow - the boursin idea sounds FAB!

soapbox Fri 28-Jan-05 10:45:10

Catbert - the best thing about it is that if you cut the chicken into little slivers and the carrots into fine matchsticks it only takes 15 mins to cook on the hob (I do it in a big frying pan)! The rice takes roughly the same time to cook so you have lovely meal in no time.

If you cook it on the hob though you need to be careful not to let it bubble up too much or the sauce splits and goes a bit oily!

scotlou Fri 28-Jan-05 10:45:13

I've never tried chicken in the slow cooker - how long do you usually leave it to cook?

soapbox Fri 28-Jan-05 10:47:43

Scotlou - my slowcooker has 3 settings (high, med and low) for high I would cook chicken for 4 hours, med - 6 and low 8). I normally use the low heat if I'm putting something on in the morning for dinner in the evening.

sassy Fri 28-Jan-05 10:48:02

Thanks soapbox - 2 great ideas there.
Yum!

Catbert Fri 28-Jan-05 11:14:27

am printing off page for my recipe collection (oooh - get me!)

sassy Tue 01-Feb-05 12:34:05

Soapbox - just wanted to thank you for ideas. Cooked tarragon one the other night and it went down a storm with whole family - even the cat!
And it was so easy! I'm into what I call 'the chop and bung' school of cooking, so it suited me perfectly!

woodpops Tue 01-Feb-05 12:44:13

I bung chicken pieces into the slow cooker with mushrooms and a chopped onion. Add a tin of condensed mushroom soup and fill the tin with milk mix it all together and cook, yum

MistressMary Tue 01-Feb-05 12:45:23

Woodpops I did this exact thing yesterday!!!

very nice too.

woodpops Tue 01-Feb-05 13:39:51

Condensed mushroom soup is fab. You can make fab chick and mushroom pie with leftover roast chick and a tin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now