Talk

Advanced search

Wanting to cook with ds and dd tomorrow afternoon.

(17 Posts)
woodpops Wed 26-Jan-05 11:10:58

I fancey having a fun baking session with ds and dd tomorrow. They're only 2 and 3 so I think I might give Suzywongs peanut butter cookies a so. Has anyone got any other fun recipes I could make with them??

HeyEnidYouveLostWeight Wed 26-Jan-05 11:14:52

Banana muffins are good if you've got Nigellas domestic goddess - the mixture is supposed to be lumpy (so perfect for littlies) and its basically a lot of stirring.

nailpolish Wed 26-Jan-05 11:15:13

how about chocolate crispies? maybe too easy and quick

HeyEnidYouveLostWeight Wed 26-Jan-05 11:15:42

ooh, also pancakes - mixture easy to mix, then it sits while you tidy up, then they are fun to watch cooking and you can put all kinds of bits on them.

bundle Wed 26-Jan-05 11:15:51

have you got those ready-made tubes of icing they can squeeze their own patterns on top - they're tops in our house..

woodpops Wed 26-Jan-05 11:17:20

We often decorate rich tea biscuits with hundres and thousands, choc chips, jelly bit's etc. THa's fun

scotlou Wed 26-Jan-05 11:17:41

I got a muffin recipe from discovery kids that is really easy with kids! (and for me since I can't bake!)
Take a carton of flavoured yoghurt (black cherry or raspberry are good) and empty into bowl.
Then use the same yoghurt carton to measure in:
1 carton veg. oil
3 cartons flour
1 carton castor sugar
mix in 3 eggs
Mix well together and put into muffin cases.
bake in oven - think it's 140 deg.c - for about 15 mins - or until they are golden brown.
I also mixed some frozen rasps into the mixture when I used raspberry yoghurt which made them even better!

Pidge Wed 26-Jan-05 11:18:59

HeyEnidYouveLostWeight - was also about to suggest Nigella's banana muffins. Also her banana bread is dead easy, and lots of banana mashing to do.

Her scones make brilliant dough for playing with and cutting out shapes, and it literally takes 5-10 minutes to chuck the ingredients together. I always add raisins, cos kiddies love them.

Have fun!

HeyEnidYouveLostWeight Wed 26-Jan-05 11:23:13

ooh and her jam tarts recipe is good, the one with the yogurt in the dough - makes it sooooo easy to roll out, its dd1's fave thing to make.

moondog Wed 26-Jan-05 11:37:01

Bread is fun to make-they can bugger about with it and it's still edible. Also shortbread. Easy and tasty and better still if you get some cut out shapes.

woodpops Wed 26-Jan-05 11:47:16

Would anyone mind posting the recipe's for Nigellas banana muffins, banana bread and jam tarts with yogurt in the dough?? Pretty, pretty pleaaaaaaaaase.

scotlou, I make those muffins loads. THey're great for kids. Especially as everything is measured out in the yog pots.

I could make cheese straws with them as well.

SoupDragon Wed 26-Jan-05 11:56:45

Nigella's banana bread

100g sultanas
75ml bourbon/rum (I've used apple juice sccessfully though!!)
175g plan flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
half teaspoon bicarb
half teaspoon salt
125 g butter (melted)
150g sugar
2 large eggs
4 ripe bananas, mashed
60g walnuts (I've never put these in)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
loaf tin, buttered and floured or lined with greaseproof paper

put sultanas & rum in saucepan, bring to the boil and leaave for an hour or until the liquid's mostly been absorbed. This plumps up the sultanas. Drain.

Preheat oven to GM 3 170 C

Put flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt in a bowl and mix.
In a nother bowl, mix butter & sugra and beat until blended (or use a mixer!!) Beat in eggs one at a time and then the bananas. Stir in walnuts, sultanas and vanilla. Add the flour mix 1/3 at a time, stirring well each time. Scrap into loaf tin (I've had to pour it on occasions!) and bake in the middle of the oven for 1 - 1.2 hours. Leave in the tin to cool.

woodpops Wed 26-Jan-05 11:58:06

Thank you.

woodpops Wed 26-Jan-05 14:12:20

Anymore??

nnosam Wed 26-Jan-05 14:27:40

chocolate cornflake cakes.

chocolate... lots
large spoon of butter.
honey.

you melt the choc, butter and honey in a bowl over water on stove/hob.
then the kiddies mix in the cornflakes and put into paper cake cases, in the fridge or freezer to go hard.
you can use a much or a little of each as you like, the only things is that you need to fully coat the c/flkes in choc.

and thats it.

rickman Sat 12-Feb-05 13:32:52

Message withdrawn

woodpops Mon 14-Feb-05 09:48:31

SR flour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now