Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Butchers don't keep meat in a fridge.....

(11 Posts)
PlainFlum Tue 25-Jan-05 13:52:39

....., why do we?

Mum2girls Tue 25-Jan-05 13:54:20

I thought they had those big old cold rooms where they hang it all up...?

beansprout Tue 25-Jan-05 13:57:10

Yeesh - where else would you like to keep it?!

PlainFlum Tue 25-Jan-05 14:01:29

Nah they hang it in store rooms but they are not refrigerated.

suzywong Tue 25-Jan-05 14:03:39

why not put a pack of mince in the cupboard under the stairs for a couple of days and then come back and tell us why

I did this once when my parent went away for a week when I was a teenager, by accident. It smelled like a charnel house

PlainFlum Tue 25-Jan-05 14:07:30

ok. only wondered. just meat from butchers always lovely. meat from supermarket (refrigerated) often a bit ropey

suzywong Tue 25-Jan-05 14:09:50

well I think there in lies the answer

real butchers hang meat for 3 weeks in a moderately cold room with no digital regulation for the temp and it tastes fantastic. Steak, for example, should be crimson in colour and the fat soft and springy to the touch, not livid magenta with hard flouro white fat

Probably something to do with Brussels

SoupDragon Tue 25-Jan-05 14:18:49

Their storerooms are than your nice centrally heated house

starlover Tue 25-Jan-05 17:27:42

i think that by law meat has to be kept under a certain temp. (between 0-5??)

most supermarket meat (even from the fresh meat counter) comes into the store frozen I think, which is probably why it isn't as nice as meat from the butchers who actually sell fresh meat.

still, i am a vegetarian so what would i know?????

FineFigureFio Tue 25-Jan-05 17:30:49

every morning when I take my ds to nursery we see half a pig coming out the back of a lorry, trotters an all, ds was quite horrified to begin with - now he just says its half the pig mummy

starlover Tue 25-Jan-05 18:11:18

at least you know it's fresh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now