Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Holiday eating, hotel food for 11 month old

(11 Posts)
PlainFlum Mon 24-Jan-05 15:06:43

We are going skiing next week to a half board hotel. I think I'm just checking for reassurance here.....

Our baby eats pretty much anything. We give her jars of babyfood sometimes (she eats a whole big jar everytime) but most of the time we just give her chopped up of whatever we are having.

She seems to eat less of the chopped up stuff but likes it. I think its just down to speed of chewing, picking it up, every second piece having to be chucked on the floor etc.

I don't wanna lug baby food to France and figure she is not really a baby anymore so it will be good for her to have proper meals for a week.

It will be ok won't it. Bit worried about the mess she will clearly make in the dining room but.......... the French are good with kids aren't they.

PlainFlum Mon 24-Jan-05 15:07:18

Dop, she's 11 months old.

suzywong Mon 24-Jan-05 15:10:08

you paid for your right to be in the dining room so don't worry about the mess

Holidays are a good time to let kids choose what they want to eat, we took ds1 on holiday to Spain at 13 months and it was there that his love affair with ham began, we had never given it to him at home

The bottom line is she won't starve herself and will probably really enjoy eating in a new environment

And if she does end up eating chips and bread all the time it's onlyfor a couple of weeks at the most

PlainFlum Mon 24-Jan-05 15:13:20

Thats what I figure. My mum says I ate only Heinz tomato soup and ham sandwiches from the age of 9 til about 13 and still was always first in cross country.

suzywong Mon 24-Jan-05 15:15:18

Ha!
there you go then

zubb Mon 24-Jan-05 15:18:09

if you get worried that she's really not eating much then buy some jars over there. Ds2 was 8 months old when we were over there, and although he wouldn't eat jars here, finished them all in France!

PrettyCandles Mon 24-Jan-05 15:18:10

Enitrely agree with suzywong. For that age we usually pack a small packet (or decant a bit) of their favourite cereal, and maybe take along a handful of jars, just for emergencies. An emergency in this case being either a poorly child or utterly apalling hotel food.

We love olives, but our two wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole - until, that is, we went on holiday and my cousin gave them olives on the beach. Now olives are utterly adored!

californiagirl Tue 25-Jan-05 00:25:41

My SIL is a waitress, and she says that babies who drop food are fine, you shouldn't worry about it, it's worth it because moms and babies are much nicer customers than stuck-up businessmen. Allowing the baby to actually throw food so that it may hit other customers is not OK (and apparently she's had customers who didn't stop kids from doing this!)

I tell myself this frequently. DD had noodles from my soup on Saturday, and desperately tried to eat them all, but quite a lot still hit the floor. The other customers were mostly enthralled watching her attempts... it was awfully cute to watch.

LIZS Tue 25-Jan-05 07:52:25

Depends on how family orientated the hotel is ime. We had a couple of difficult ski holidays when ds was almost 1 because the hotel would serve us the standard meal but at their own pace so by dinner time, late by his standards anyway, he was starving and would stuff himself with bread given the opportunity , by the time food arrived he was overtired and either overhungry or not hungry at all. You may be lucky in that the hotel may do an early sitting specifically for kids, worth asking. Bear in mind that unless you specify it in advance she may well not get a portion or even a plate to herself. We used to resort to jars at teatime, or you could buy some bread and cheese, ham, fruit etc, so that he would n't be too hungry later on and then just let him pick at stuff from our plates at dinner. However it was an uphill battle to get him to sit long enough for us to all eat so we'd sometimes have to take him out and do shifts. The mess was the least of my worries !

You should be able to buy a decent enough range food jars locally if needs be and bear in mind that local food may well be heavily salted. Agree with Suzywong that if all she eats is chips and bread then don't fret about it. ds survived on bread and marmite (take your own) one holiday ! Breakfast is likely to be the most varied meal for her and if it is a buffet then you can make sure she gets a better balance of yogurt, fruit etc there - my 2 just love hotel buffet breakfasts !

Sorry this isn't the wholehearted reassurance you were looking for but just be prepared and hopefully you'll all have a great time !

samwifewithkid Thu 27-Jan-05 23:01:54

We went on hols to Portugal when our dd was 11 months. We managed to buy some jars from the local supermarket and by then she was eating pasta and rice, so we just bought a few bits and bobs and managed ok. It wasn't as great as the food she ate in England, but with a combination of eating out, jars and cooking in our apartment, we got through the 2 weeks ok. I was more worried about the tiled floors and the fact she was nearly walking (and falling back onto the hard cold floor) and the stairs in the place we stayed. So many things to worry and think about on hols, but it's all manageable. It's nice to have a holiday, but nice to get back home again afterwards. Have a great time!

moondog Thu 27-Jan-05 23:05:52

You'll be fine! There'll be plenty of suitable stuff. Took my 13 mth old to Thailand and Malaysia and she ate exactly what we did. Just come back from holiday this week. 6 mth old ds was no problem-b/feeding, a bit of yoghurt, the odd crust,fruit.
Skiing!! Lucky you. Have a great time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now