Talk

Advanced search

Haggis Nibbles???

(14 Posts)
tassis Thu 20-Jan-05 17:04:22

OK, here's the scenario: I live in Scotland and I have people coming for supper (ie post-meal nibbles) on Tuesday night which is Burns Night. I was going to do biscuits and cheese and baking, but I was wondering if anyone had seen any bite-size haggis nibbles. Or could I put some haggis on oatcakes? Or should I just get tartan napkins and be done with it?

Eulalia Thu 20-Jan-05 17:13:39

Hi tassis - I am also in Scotland. Going to a Burns Supper tomorrow. Depends what you and your friends are having for your meal and how hungry you will be after. Not seen bite size haggis. I am sure it will be OK on oatcakes though. Hope you have a nice time

tassis Thu 20-Jan-05 17:21:19

Hi Eulalia, folks are eating before they come...

lowcalCOD Thu 20-Jan-05 17:36:00

I love haggis

BigFatHeiferEnid Thu 20-Jan-05 17:51:11

I had oysters with a slice of haggis on top as an appetiser at a dinner party I went to before Xmas.

Waswondering Thu 20-Jan-05 18:28:41

I think it sounds delicious! But would they have had that for their tea already?? I have a feeling I saw someone doing something like that on TV using a small biscuit cutter - can't really remember. My concern would be that one bite into the oatcake and it would discintegrate - though I know that haggis is pretty squidgy. Sounds so yummy though.

Tartan napkins and strange Scottish accordian music in the background to finish setting the scene??

tassis Thu 20-Jan-05 19:02:01

I figured some would have had haggis already so didn't want it to be a big deal and would have alternatives.

Agree re squidgyness - not sure how I'd slice it??

ja9 Thu 20-Jan-05 19:40:30

who's the bestest of the lot then?

lowcalCOD Thu 20-Jan-05 19:43:25

wow!

Waswondering Thu 20-Jan-05 22:27:57

Was musing on this thread with DH who reminded me that we saw in Lidl on Saturday haggis at the princely sum of 44p.

So if you don't want to push the boat out . . .

Fimbo Thu 20-Jan-05 22:41:59

I'm Scottish but live in England - I went to our local Scottish Socy Ceildh recently and they put haggis into mini tart cases (like jam tart cases but smaller) and they were yummy.

tassis Fri 21-Jan-05 09:24:02

Thanks everyone, you're great. Any more ideas from the daytime people?

Ja9's recipe looks fab but involves deep frying. Several years ago I tried to deep fry falafals and it was a VEY messy experience.

ja9 Fri 21-Jan-05 13:02:48

what about the baby new potatoes recipe? thats the one that i thought would catch your eye - it doesn't involve deep frying...

.. do you think i'd suggest deep frying haggis when i know who's deep fat fryer you'd want to use... remembering the falafals episode only too well!!

Waswondering Fri 21-Jan-05 13:17:30

ja9 - I really liked the idea of the apple and cream combo.

I just remember hearing about the falafel incident . . .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now