Talk

Advanced search

How did my Mum feed 6 of us from one chicken for TWO MEALS!!

(18 Posts)
flashingnose Mon 17-Jan-05 20:16:42

Did a roast chicken yesterday for 5 of us. Thought I'd try Nigella's chicken pie today with the leftovers and after picking the carcass clean, I've assembled 75g of chicken .

Are we eating more? Have chickens got smaller?? How on earth did my mum do it??

misdee Mon 17-Jan-05 20:17:22

she bought a super size chicken.

IloveMarmite Mon 17-Jan-05 20:17:30

I have no idea. Maybe she was magic!!

weightwatchingwaterwitch Mon 17-Jan-05 20:18:20

My mum did too, a chicken would last 5 of us days and days. I think they must have made a lot go a hell of a long way.

flashingnose Mon 17-Jan-05 20:18:20

Do you reckon? How big would a supersize chicken be? Mine was 2kg which I thought was pretty big.

flashingnose Mon 17-Jan-05 20:19:37

She was very thrifty but I'm beginning to think magic must have come into it somewhere .

IloveMarmite Mon 17-Jan-05 20:19:47

I think we just ate less chicken and more veg.

misdee Mon 17-Jan-05 20:20:07

maybe she serves smaller portion on 1st day, then when she made stews etc she used loads of veggies.

weightwatchingwaterwitch Mon 17-Jan-05 20:21:48

Actually, come to think of it we did have poxy portions the first time it came out! And then it would be (bleuugghh) stew the second time and then soup or something. Two of us can demolish a chicken between us now. And I'd buy 2 if anyone else was coming to lunch.

stitch Mon 17-Jan-05 20:21:59

i think they ate more veg with it. lots of potatoes and butter and stuff.
i do know that if i make a chicken curry using one chicken, and it is eaten with rice, it will go much further than the same chicken fried up and served with chips, or roasted.
also, in the olden days, ie before battery hens etc, the chicken would be more conventrated, and less watery! even now, if you go for a hand reared organic type, then you will find it has a lot less water in it.

flashingnose Mon 17-Jan-05 20:22:39

Hmm, I think we are all little piggies TBH. I'll try again next week with lots of bulky veg (that'll please the kids no end).

weightwatchingwaterwitch Mon 17-Jan-05 20:22:52

I do, always buy organic.

IloveMarmite Mon 17-Jan-05 20:23:32

That's why we are all bigger than our parents' generation.

Amanda3266 Mon 17-Jan-05 20:26:34

Chicken soup maybe. I make this sometimes. We don't have chicken much now as I am very anti the methods used for rearing. If we do then we have an organic chicken which costs around £7 . For that price I make sure we get more than one meal out of it.

Mandy

flashingnose Mon 17-Jan-05 20:26:57

You're right of course - they reckon that portion control is the key to losing weight. My Mum and Dad had teeny weeny dinner plates!

IloveMarmite Mon 17-Jan-05 20:28:28

Frankly, though, I enjoy being a pig - especially when it's roast chicken, gravy, mashed potato, peas, carrots etc. etc. etc. mmmmmm droooooollllll

flashingnose Mon 17-Jan-05 20:29:47

Yep, that's the problem .

IloveMarmite Mon 17-Jan-05 20:30:32

I have not had my supper and now, all I really want is roast chicken. Can you send some down my broadband?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now