Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ARGH - is there a slow cooker heaven?

(24 Posts)
Casmie Mon 17-Jan-05 18:36:34

Well, everything was still crunchy and not cooked through after 8 hours which is a fairly good indicator, no? WHY do I only discover this just as we're ready to sit down and eat?!

It gave me almost a decade of service though, so I guess I can't be too cross... now where are all the threads saying which is the best slow cooker?

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Mon 17-Jan-05 18:37:52

<<head bowed as we say goodbye to Casmie's slow cooker>>

FrenchGirl Mon 17-Jan-05 18:45:38

it is possible to live without one though (never heard of these things until I came to live here.....and will never buy one either )

am I being insensitive?

or controversial?

Casmie Mon 17-Jan-05 19:13:08

Nooooooooo.... can't live without one, use it at least once a week

FrenchGirl Mon 17-Jan-05 20:01:41

ohhhh there there casmie.......

nutcracker Mon 17-Jan-05 20:05:14

Ooooh no, id be lost without mine, infact me and my mom have just swapped slow cookers cos hers was a larger one.

The one we had a was a Swan one, quite old but worked fine, the one we have now is a cordon bleu one.

franch Mon 17-Jan-05 20:11:22

Fill me in - how would a slow cooker transform my life? Genuinely interested

IloveMarmite Mon 17-Jan-05 20:12:09

Yes - e.bay!

Casmie Mon 17-Jan-05 20:15:33

franch - it transfers preparation time to a less hectic time of the day. I tend to do the prep 9am ish and it's ready to serve without further intervention (well, okay, sometimes I use cornflour to thicken the sauce) at 5.30pm when we all have tea together. Takes the pressure off having to deal with/entertain two small children at that 4.30/5pm time slot while also trying to cook the meal!

franch Mon 17-Jan-05 20:17:29

Hmm! What kind of things do you cook in it? Casseroles casseroles casseroles?

Casmie Mon 17-Jan-05 20:20:22

I do (hence the only once a week ;) ) but you can do other stuff too (soups, puddings... I forget now would have to look up the recipe book that came with it!)

marthamoo Mon 17-Jan-05 20:45:29

R.I.P. Casmie's cooker.

Now you can get this one from Lakeland and tell me whether I should get one too!

miggy Mon 17-Jan-05 21:00:34

marthamoo and casmie-I have that one and its fab (but Shh! dont tell lakeland as they are great but got mine from amazon as cheaper)
Makes fab rice, steams without steaming up kitchen and is slow cooker too-what more could you want.
Casmie-dont think of it as a replacement for the one you lost, just something to ease the pain

Casmie Tue 18-Jan-05 09:12:12

Problem is - a) I don't want a rice cooker b) I already have a steamer I like and c) isn't the capacity of the slow cooker reduced as a result of it being jack of all trades?

I'm open to being convinced, I'm just a bit skeptical from what I've seen so far...

miggy Tue 18-Jan-05 15:31:12

I bought it as I had sort of been thinking about a rice cooker and ditto a slow cooker, and there it was on the back page of the lakeland catalogue!
It is a 10 cup slowcooker so quite large, the steamer tray is small and removable, so doesnt affect size. There is only one mode for slow cooking though and have seen recipes for full and low so assume some cookers have 2 modes?
Can set it to slow cook for x hours and then it switches itself to keep warm.
Rice cooker bit is great, again switches to keep warm after rice cooked. I think it may be one of those things you dont know you need IYSWIM Can steam a few veg at the same time as cook rice too.
Someone else here was recommending this one too.

Casmie Tue 18-Jan-05 16:59:59

Hmm... am half tempted now... how many litres is 10 cups?

Casmie Tue 18-Jan-05 17:02:54

Answered my own question... 3.2L. My ex-slow cooker was 2.5L and a bit too small so it should be okay, shouldn't it?....

Ponders

august24 Tue 18-Jan-05 17:29:52

I have the Tfal rice/slow cooket combo and I love it. It is great. But having said that, we eat a lot of rice.

Casmie Tue 18-Jan-05 17:34:51

Okay okay, I've ordered it already Plus the Braun multiblender professional thingie ended up in the basket too ...

marthamoo Wed 19-Jan-05 00:16:23

I want one....

Gwenick Wed 19-Jan-05 00:36:01

I@ve got one - doing a roast in it tomororw

Always said I'd never get one - but then decided to and I'd not be without it now. The other good thing about it, as well as moving preperation time (and most stuff doesn't take long to prepare anyhow) is that you don't have to watch it, or keep checking it

KateandtheGirls Wed 19-Jan-05 00:41:32

I got one a couple of years ago thinking I would use it all the time, but I've been very dissapointed. Whenever I've made anything it has always turned out kind of blah, IYKWIM. All the flavours get lost somehow.

essbee Wed 19-Jan-05 01:59:12

Message withdrawn

GeorginaA Wed 02-Mar-05 14:05:28

Okay, I have to come back and report that I am really disappointed with the Tefal 3-in-1. I don't know if I just got a dud, or whether I've just been used to a lot better, but it feels very much like a jack of all trades, master of none.

The rice cooker - despite following their instructions to the letter, I have consistently got dry un-fluffy rice out of it.

The slow cooker - 8 hours cooking and despite being piping hot, meat isn't tender, small cut potatoes still are quite firm. Extremely disappointing as my old Morphy Richards was so superb in comparison, and this was the main reason I bought the tefal - to replace my broken slow cooker.

The steamer - great, apart from the steamer basket is tiny. I tried to cook one normal sized cauliflower in there and couldn't close the lid!!! Would never do for a family of four's vegetable requirements.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now