Talk

Advanced search

Dd (2) won't drink milk, or eat fruit and vegetables.

(14 Posts)
tammybear Sun 16-Jan-05 18:17:02

My dd is 2. She has gone off milk for quite a while now. She only has it with her weetabix in the morning, and has yoghuts. She won't drink water either. She won't eat fruit, and very little vegetables so she isn't getting all the vitamins and things she should be. This really worries me, especially when my mum keeps pointing out that her immune system is down, as she has now picked up my mum's cold

She has also been to nursery for over a week now, and won't eat or drink anything there. Thursday she ate the most she had all week, which was 3 potatoes, one fish finger, and 3 chedder biscuits. I was going to give her another week to see if she would eat anything as I think it is down to all this change that she is being a bit funny with food etc. But it is worrying me, and I'm starting to get sick of my mum pointing out all the faults with the way I'm bringing up dd and what dd is refusing.

I was suppose to have my HV come on Friday, and I was going to ask her for her advice when she came, but she fell ill so didnt come round. Any suggestions? Is she too young for milkshakes? And what other things can I give her that are a substitute for fruit and veg that can help? I can sometimes hide them in her mash or in shepherds pie so she does get some, but at the moment she is refusing to eat her dinners Please help. Thanks xxx

Casmie Sun 16-Jan-05 18:20:39

Will she take a spoonful of liquid vitamins just as a stopgap, tammybear? Ds1 treats haliborange syrup as a treat(!) in the mornings and at least then I can relax about his food intake during the day. I wouldn't worry about the calcium aspect - just keep up the yoghurts and make the weetabix as sloppy with milk as you can get away with...

What about a fruit smoothie? Only other thing I can suggest is to try not to worry (yeah, right ) and just keep offering a variety of foods.

Casmie Sun 16-Jan-05 18:24:07

Had some other thoughts - jelly with bits of fruit embedded in? Tinned fruit? Sticks of finger veg (like carrots etc) in a small bowl near where she's playing so she can help herself when she feels like it? Packet of raisins?

How about reverse psychology? "If you're good and eat ALL YOUR fish finger, you can have a pear!" I give raisins as treats if ds1 eats all his dinner

tammybear Sun 16-Jan-05 18:24:10

Casmie - never thought of liquid vitamins! Would she be alright to have them? Mums forcing me to take vitamin tablets at the moment so you can imagine what she is like with dd! Fruit smoothies are a good idea though, wouldnt have a clue how to make them though lol

tammybear Sun 16-Jan-05 18:25:22

oh she does have raisins at times, usually ends up chucking them on the floor and across the room though lol. she doesnt like jellies either, fussy child!

Casmie Sun 16-Jan-05 18:28:16

According to the bottle, haliborange liquid are good from 6mths+ so should be fine (different dosages according to age). We had a different brand before (forget which) but ds1 definitely prefers the flavour of haliborange and the bottle seems to last for ages! I call it my little insurance policy

Now, I know SoupDragon is the expert on fruit smoothies, but I'd have thought you just dropped a load of fruit in a blender and hit frappe... perhaps a google might bring up some good combinations?

Milkshakes would be fine if you can get her to drink them, I'd have thought. Just put some milk and fruit pieces (banana maybe?) in a blender with some vanilla icecream and whizz.

PuffTheMagicDragon Sun 16-Jan-05 18:28:31

Will she eat bolognese?

If you cook and then liquidise the carrot to go in the sauce, that's a good way of hiding a veg.

Casmie Sun 16-Jan-05 18:28:42

I think it's the law for 2 year olds to be fussy, it does get easier, promise!

tammybear Sun 16-Jan-05 18:31:10

thats an idea puff.

will have a nose casmie, but will need to get a blender in. think my mum has one though.

it's just such a nightmare when at the moment, shes not eating anything except things like yoghuts, biscuits, crisps etc. she has a cold, so cant breathe too well through her nose.

Casmie Sun 16-Jan-05 18:31:49

Oops... vitamins suitable from 1 month not 6 ...sorry! This is the one we have: Haliborange Multivitamin Liquid

tammybear Sun 16-Jan-05 18:33:56

thanks casmie, im going to tescos tomorrow so will have a look for it.

Casmie Sun 16-Jan-05 18:34:52

Tescos do a value hand blender too if that helps. Don't know if it's any good though!

tammybear Sun 16-Jan-05 18:37:44

lol, just being nosey on Argos website at theirs. will have a look on tescos website too.

Casmie Sun 16-Jan-05 20:26:12

If you've got a bit more in the budget, apparently the braun multiblender things (which double as a whisk too) have come out very well in comparison tests recently...

Had another thought - do you think she might drink something like a Muller Vitality yoghurt drink (ds1 loves those, and I quite often buy them in when he's a bit run down).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: