Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Children's party food ideas for lazy mother

(60 Posts)
KristinaM Fri 14-Jan-05 23:20:18

Have a birthday party for 30 five year olds soon.Hiring a room in community centre with no access to the kitchen for heating food. Party is mid afternoon so they SHOULD have already eaten lunch. I am a very lazy mother so need easy things that don't require hours slaving over a hot stove Any suggestions apart from chipolata sausages and crisps???

lockets Fri 14-Jan-05 23:22:02

Message withdrawn

jampots Fri 14-Jan-05 23:24:19

A trip to Sainsburys or M&S?

beansontoast Fri 14-Jan-05 23:24:56

cheese cheese cheese and a satsuma

IloveMarmite Fri 14-Jan-05 23:25:54

grapes, hula hoops, sandwiches, cartons of juice, jelly, cake (well obviously), twiglets. I can remember my mum used to make jelly with fruit cocktail mixture set into it, but beware if you attempt this do not add the pineapple, it prevents jelly from setting!

jampots Fri 14-Jan-05 23:26:21

packets of crisps emptied into bowls, wotsits emptied into other bowls, mini rolls, fairy cakes (value form Tesco)

IloveMarmite Fri 14-Jan-05 23:26:28

Should have said - make sure the sandwiches are marmite

KristinaM Fri 14-Jan-05 23:34:54

Am a bit worried that the cheese and pineapple on cocktail sticks [served stuck into an orange}will end up stuck in someone's eye

KristinaM Fri 14-Jan-05 23:35:44

Sorry ILM but marmite is GGGGGRRRRROOOSSSSSS

lockets Fri 14-Jan-05 23:38:05

Message withdrawn

sallystrawberry Fri 14-Jan-05 23:43:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sallystrawberry Fri 14-Jan-05 23:45:08

SPARKLER1 Sat 15-Jan-05 00:01:02

Hi KristinaM. For the last few years I have made food boxes for the kids. You can buy the cardboard boxes from a good party shop and you can get all sorts of designs. They are just like the boxes when you go to McDonalds for a Happy Meal. Really easy to make up - line up on the floor, chuck in packet of crisps, cake bar/chocolate biscuit, cheese string, fromage frais, plastic spoon, and sandwiches (make up two sqaures per child with different fillings you think they may like)which I make up night before and wrap in clingfilm and put in fridge. Nice and easy to transport to venue and nice and easy to dispose of and end of party (chuck it all into a big black binliner!!!!) Jugs of squash and you are sorted. So much easier than doing a "spread" of food and I would never change it. Hope this helps. x

SPARKLER1 Sat 15-Jan-05 00:02:15

PS - sorry about mentioning crisps!!! Just realised you didn't want those. Choose whatever you like to "chuck in"

SPARKLER1 Sat 15-Jan-05 00:02:56

I even "chucked in" a noisy party blower at dd2 3rd birthday party. They had great fun blowing those while they were eating.

sallystrawberry Sat 15-Jan-05 00:03:14

SPARKLER1 Sat 15-Jan-05 00:04:54

Glad you like it . Seriously it is sooooooo easy. If you are worried about the grown ups not having anything just take a box of cakes - they'll live!!!!!!!!!!

lockets Sat 15-Jan-05 00:06:30

Message withdrawn

redsky Sat 15-Jan-05 00:14:10

Definitely not quick or easy - but a real WOW! Jelly Oranges! Big oranges with thick skin work best. Halve the oranges, scoop out the orange pulp ((save it for caramelised oranges)) being very careful not to puncture the skin. Make jelly with a bit less water than usual. Pour it into the orange halves. When jelly has set cut each half into quarters and slurp or bite the jelly out. YUMMO! The jelly takes on a lovely orangey flavour from the skin. Use two or three different flavours - red, yellow, green work well to make a really decorative display served on a big tray. They were served at every kids party I went to in australia - never seen them here.

SPARKLER1 Sat 15-Jan-05 00:15:13

redsky sounds nice for an adult party - but I don't think that the kids would appreciate it.

lockets Sat 15-Jan-05 00:16:11

Message withdrawn

SPARKLER1 Sat 15-Jan-05 00:16:51

whoah - now you're talking!!!!!

JanH Sat 15-Jan-05 00:22:27

Hi, Kristina! Surprisingly, I used to find that dishes of cherry tomatoes, sticks of carrot and pepper, celery etc went down surprisingly well with this age group, and some dips, and I think they like Doritos too.

Also dishes of grapes and apple slices, and you could do satsuma segments as well.

I have done Sparkler's cake-box suggestion too; if you get plain white ones then your children can decorate them with felt-tips or crayons if they want. And I've done ice-cream cones afterwards.

Good luck - 30 is a lot, especially at that age!

JanH Sat 15-Jan-05 00:24:58

Also, instead of jugs, you could have mini cartons of juice - they are quite cheap from eg Lidl, and have their own straws!

SPARKLER1 Sat 15-Jan-05 00:47:18

Good idea JanH - I thought of that one too but from a "cost" point of view I found making jugs of squash and buying cups was much cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now