Talk

Advanced search

just 1 yesterday what can I give him thats quick

(18 Posts)
purplehaze Fri 14-Jan-05 16:30:27

Hi

I'm not the best cook in the world but need some adivce from you all. What can my son eat now he's 1????? I cant do the thing of him eating what we eat as we dont always eat a proper meal in the eveinings as I'm working or my husband is. I give him at the mo Chick, veg and potatoe mixed with baby milk he also has toast, breadsticks and Jars. I really want to try and get out of the jar thing (well only use when were out) and start making him stuff myself, the problem is I feel to make him a big meal up like from the baby cook books is abit over the top just for him expecially if he hates it and with me not being the best cook god knows what it will end up like. Sooooo I was wondering what quick veggie, pasta and meat meals I can do. Also can I give him things like beans on toast. And she he be having a small lunch like toast and then a big eve meal now????

Sorry to go on I bet I sound terrible, i'm just not a good one in the kitchen.

Thank you
X

amynnixmum Fri 14-Jan-05 16:31:38

How about boiled egg and soldiers.

purplehaze Fri 14-Jan-05 16:32:19

Hi

I'm not the best cook in the world but need some adivce from you all. What can my son eat now he's 1????? I cant do the thing of him eating what we eat as we dont always eat a proper meal in the eveinings as I'm working or my husband is. I give him at the mo Chick, veg and potatoe mixed with baby milk he also has toast, breadsticks and Jars. I really want to try and get out of the jar thing (well only use when were out) and start making him stuff myself, the problem is I feel to make him a big meal up like from the baby cook books is abit over the top just for him expecially if he hates it and with me not being the best cook god knows what it will end up like. Sooooo I was wondering what quick veggie, pasta and meat meals I can do. Also can I give him things like beans on toast. And she he be having a small lunch like toast and then a big eve meal now????

Sorry to go on I bet I sound terrible, i'm just not a good one in the kitchen.

Thank you
X

Yorkiegirl Fri 14-Jan-05 16:34:17

Message withdrawn

Fimbo Fri 14-Jan-05 16:39:02

My ds is 13 mths, I do a baked potato in the microwave and put some butter on and let cheese melt into it and give it to him when its cooled down a bit, he loves it (I don't give him the skin tho)

davesgirl Fri 14-Jan-05 16:43:04

sanwich toaster are fabas you can hide cucumber and stuff in all the melted cheese! pitta bread with tuna salad also go down well with mine.
p.s first time here- fab!

Grommit Fri 14-Jan-05 16:53:21

I cook large amounts for ds (also 1) and freeze in small portions - chicken casserole (very easy just cook chicken pieces in stock with carrots, sweet pot, butternut squash and blend), spag bol (puree the meat sauce), veg in a cheese sauce (can add pasta or mix with potato later), tomato and veg sauce with chopped pasta shapes, cauliflower cheese. I also cook and purree chicken, lentils, brocolli, sweet pot, butternut squash and frees in icecube trays. he also likes to chew on bits of pizza and toast

Anchovy Fri 14-Jan-05 16:55:10

Do you have a freezer and a microwave? My DD (15 months) will happily eat her own body weight in cauliflower cheese, which I make in bulk, freeze in icecube trays in several batches and then turn the ice cubes into a freezer bag. Just defrost as many cubes as you like. You can make the pieces of cauliflower smaller or larger depending on how good your DS is at eating. When DD was smaller I used to steam the cauliflower into submission - now its a bit fashionably more al dente (but not much ). She is going through a very annoying independent eating phase and it is brilliant because it sticks to the spoon and is not too runny. I make it with organic cauliflower (but not always). Actually I tend to make the sauce with goats milk as DD is supposed to be on a light dairy diet due to eczema and it is very very yummy (You can buy goats milk in the supermarket which I didn't know until I looked for it). Then when I defrost it she either has it as is, or with some ham chopped up in it. Or if DS is having fish fingers or sausages she has a smaller portion alongside those.

Let me know if you have a freezer and microwave as I have some other good ideas!

lowcalCOD Fri 14-Jan-05 16:58:03

look at allt he kids meals in say like marks and spencer
they may gve you some ideas
cheesy pasta a firm fave att hat age here, also eggy bread

Stilltrue Fri 14-Jan-05 19:01:22

Hi, my ds is 12m old too. I made him something today which he liked: a thick fish chowder.
Chop a small onion and a small/medium potato and fry gently in olive oil until the onion is soft, then add half milk/half water to cover the mixture by about an inch. Simmer gently for 5-10 mins until potato is cooked. Add a few smallish (1/2 inch) chunks of salmon and cook through for a further 2-3 mins until fish goes opaque. You could add a little chopped parsley or maybe basil (I did it with basil once and he liked that too). It makes more than one portion so maybe try at a time when you are eating with yr ds to make it worth your while.
- pasta (try Italian baby pasta from a deli - v.quick to cook and has added vits) with melted cheese,and/or a small tomato chpped up and gently fried in a little butter then stirred into the pasta
-lemon sole fillet strips, grill/fry 1m per side, then put in oven proof dish, top with grated chheese and grill until cheese melts,
-poached egg with toast; I use organic eggs and don't poach until they're hard. If a bit runny you can spread on the toast and get more of the goodness into him.
- greek yogurt with mashed banana of a fruit puree jar. At least the yog isn't full of sugar to start off with, like so many "kids' brands"

weightwatchingwaterwitch Fri 14-Jan-05 19:02:47

Baked beans? Avocado? Grated cheese? Melon? Cucumber? Banana? Yoghurts? These are the sorts of things my 13mo dd eats.

ionesmum Fri 14-Jan-05 19:50:08

Cheese on toast. Quick pizza - spread some french bread with some tomato puree, top with cheese, sliced onion, olives etc and grill. Garlic bread. Pasta with cheese sauce - dead easy once you get the hang of it. Fish fingers. Homemade potato wedges - cut up some potatos, toss in oil and bake on a high heat - add some onion, garlic, herbs or paprika to ring the changes, and serve with yoghurt dip or ketchup. Pasta with jar of tomato-based sauce - you can stir in some grated cheese.

Homemade veg hotpot - mix a can of mixed beans with a can of chopped tomatos and a bit of chopped onion, and some water. Simmer until thick and serve with rice, potatos or pasta. You can add any other veg, herbs, garlic etc, or exta water plus some potatos in the hotpot itself to make a casserole that needs no accompaniment.

oooggs Fri 14-Jan-05 19:56:02

Mashed potato beans & cheese, spag bol, cheese on toast, ham sandwich, pizza, veg a dent with chix strips, fish cakes, beef stew as well as lots of fruit. DS is 13 mths.

purplehaze Fri 14-Jan-05 21:21:54

Thank you so much everyone you given me some brilliant ideas.

Yes i do have a microwave and freezer.

Thanks

XX

acnebride Fri 14-Jan-05 22:00:31

This isn't that quick in a way but it's sooo easy - not my recipe, it's portree's from another post ages ago. Put 1 chicken breast, 8 dried apricots (either soaked or the sort that don't need soaking) and 5 oz water into a dish and bake it all for 30 mins. Then mash, blend or whatever you need to do.

i'm looking forward to giving ds toast and honey but keep forgetting to buy any honey! ds also loved walnut cake on his birthday to the point of having a screaming tantrum when denied a second piece. I was pleased because my MIL ate her piece and said 'funny, I thought this recipe was foolproof'

broccoli in cheese sauce goes down quite well with ds.

hooray for 1 year olds!

ionesmum Fri 14-Jan-05 23:18:30

Forgot to add that you might want to add a little veggie stock powder (Marigold bouillon powder) to the veggie hotpot thing - you can once babies turn one - and maybe mash it or puree it a bit if it's not something he's used to.

You also asked about when to eat. Some say that the big meal should be at lunchtime as that is when little ones need their energy, but OTOH if they do not have full tummies in the evening then they may not sleep through. You could try both and see what suits. Either way, new foods esp. pulses are best introduced at lunch time in case they give a tummy ache.

My dd1 likes all of these, but my dd2 will only eat finger foood. She's nearly 10 mo and I can't wait for her to turn one so she can enjoy some of the same things as her big sister!

ionesmum Fri 14-Jan-05 23:20:33

Oooooh, another quick idea: sandwiches made with cream cheese mixed with grated apple - my dd1 loved these at 1.

dancer77 Fri 14-Jan-05 23:27:22

My ds just turned 1 eats everything he sees me and dh eat. He won't eat anything different! he eats jacket potato with chesse and beans (no skin), spag bol, pasta and any sauce mixed with vegetabales, roast dinner, pitta bread, dairy lea sandwichs, lots of yoghurts and fruit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now