Talk

Advanced search

When to start giving things like toast?

(9 Posts)
sweetkitty Thu 13-Jan-05 13:23:45

When can you start giving finger foods like toast? Also what do you put on the toast as surely marg is too salty, unsalted butter?

LIZS Thu 13-Jan-05 13:26:15

ds started on toast and marmite at around 7/8 months but to begin with sucked it until it broke off despite having teeth from 5 months. dd had problems until around a year with finger foods and lumps.

Bozza Thu 13-Jan-05 13:41:12

Started mine on toast & a lick of marg or just toast (they make it pretty soggy in no time and any spread is very messy) at 6 months or so. As soon as gluten was OK really.

DDs first weaning was a rice cake at 5 months. Lazy mother knew I was starting her on baby rice a couple of days later and wanted to keep her quiet while the rest of us ate. She is now 8 months and has something suitable off my plate every mealtime - tagliatelle last night, peas the night before.

muminlondon Thu 13-Jan-05 13:44:22

I tried finger food from about 8 months - starting with toast and bread, moving on to things like cooked carrot and broccoli and meatballs. dd choked a bit at first but got used to it quickly (just as well, by 11 months she wanted only finger food). I avoided marmite till 12 months.

I don't think presence of teeth or not makes a lot of difference by the way.

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 13:45:38

i gave dd dry toast to start with. she just chewed it and it went all soggy then she sucked it!

Hulababy Fri 14-Jan-05 09:41:20

DD was eating finger food from about 5 and a bit months (back when weaning was recommended at 4 months). She loved it!

Ameriscot2005 Fri 14-Jan-05 09:43:23

When they grab yours

HappyMumof2 Fri 14-Jan-05 10:16:19

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Fri 14-Jan-05 10:18:32

6 months .. but I just give DD bread .. nothing on it .. just bits of wholemeal bread .. they don't need spreads TBH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now