Talk

Advanced search

When to start giving lumpier food?

(8 Posts)
pinkmagic1 Thu 13-Jan-05 11:27:21

My son is 7 months old and I am aware he should be progressing to lumpier food but unless his food is blended right down he chokes. Even things like mashed potato poses a problem unless it is put in the blender first. He also chokes on finger food. Any advice much apprieciated.

monkeygirl Thu 13-Jan-05 11:34:08

My 7 month old is exactly the same - he won't eat my food cos I can't seem to get it smooth enough for him! But what I am finding is that he will gum a banana if I am holding it. He will also have a go at a (peeled) grape again if I hold it and squish it slightly in his mouth. I'm hoping just trying these different methods will start getting him into the idea of different textures. But I wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage because they change so quickly in a very short space of time so you just have to keep offering him some...sorry probably not much help.

blotto Thu 13-Jan-05 11:45:49

HI there - I have nothing to say that will help but I completely sympathise. Twins are now 8 mths old and unless everything is completely smooth and soft then they gag and bring everything back up again. Its horrible to watch and also of course leaves the dilemma that they are hungry so do I then feed them all over again? I have no idea what to do other than leave it for a few days and then try again with something like mashed potato or weetabix which arent even lumpy, just a bit coarser. I am just trrying to console myself with the fact that I dont know any grown-ups who only eat puree so I guess they will get there in the end!

BROWNY Thu 13-Jan-05 12:11:19

Hiya,

I have a 7 month old baby son also and he will only have smooth food. I know this is fine (although my health visitor insists he has toast and slices of apple - even though he almost chokes!). I have three other children and they only had lumpier food when they were about 9 months old.

Hope this helps.

alibo Tue 18-Jan-05 10:25:41

my ds would gag on lumpy food when it was given from a spoon still at 8/9 months. but he very quickly got the hang of eating soft fruit and veg as finger food, then rice cakes and bits of pasta. once he was eating these he started to take lumpier food off the spoon.

DaddyCool Tue 18-Jan-05 12:28:03

this is a nightmare. Kids hate lumpy food for a long while. For instance I know someone who's kids (who are around 7 or 8 yrs old) will only eat their grans boiled veg because it's alot mushier than hers. Little folk seem to want 'easy' food.

Finger foods are the best to start off with but our 18 mth ds still has trouble with spooned lumpy food. He chokes on apple still and can't handle carrot sticks at all.

oneofeach Wed 19-Jan-05 15:23:51

My DS1 could not get used to lumpy food and wouldn't eat home cooked stuff because it was never as smooth as the jars. I managed by buying the tiny pasta stars (from a deli, or soup pasta from the supermarket), cooking it til it was very soft and putting that in his fave jars. I gradually put more and more in until he was absolutely fine with it and we progressed from there. He was a good bit older than your DS too!

Newbarnsleygirl Wed 19-Jan-05 15:29:45

My dd is 15mo and still prefers mushy food! I cook all her food. I boil the veg a bit more than so it's softer but I use the water so she still gets alot of the goodness. Theres no way she would eat carrot sticks or anything like them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: