Talk

Advanced search

I can't stand the secrecy any longer...

(100 Posts)
motherinferior Tue 11-Jan-05 17:02:32

[deep breath, here goes]

MY CHILDREN EAT CRISPS. Full-fat, salty, additive-laden, evil-as-you-can-get crisps, and crisp-related pseudo-food snackettes. In huge quantities, at every possible opportunity. They also, since you ask (well, you didn't, but I'm on a roll, OK) eat chicken nuggets and similar pseudo-foods, with every appearance of enjoyment, and sometimes go to MacDonalds. Most of this they do not do with me, but in the company of their childminder (who also provides them with excellent food most of the time) while I am at home working quite possibly on a pious article about the Evils of Pseudo-foods. They also eat fruit - in vast quantities - and veg, as it happens, and other trappings of the liberalpinko's culinary lifestyle, but YES THEY EAT JUNK and I am sorry to admit THEY LIKE IT.

Their dad is also a big crisp fan.

And I quite like crisps too, although I prefer posh ones which aren't quite so in-your-face crisply.

I am not looking for absolution, but felt a need to confess given that I seem to be the only person on Mumsnet who permits such indulgences. And now I'm going to slink away (not flounce, slink), to collect them and face the full impact of my Shame.

Pamina3 Tue 11-Jan-05 17:03:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iota Tue 11-Jan-05 17:03:43

you are not alone - mine do too

SPARKLER1 Tue 11-Jan-05 17:04:06

I would never give my kids crisps!!! I eat them all myself!!

lockets Tue 11-Jan-05 17:04:20

Message withdrawn

SPARKLER1 Tue 11-Jan-05 17:04:33

not really - they love 'em!!

aloha Tue 11-Jan-05 17:05:43

Ha! My ds mournfully calls the new groovy Rye pub in Peckham (honest, it's a v nice gastropub in a grotty area) 'The pub with NO crisps" as dh and I lured him in there with the promise/bribe of a packet of crisps! We thought, right, we get to have a drink by the fire and a bowl of fat chips etc while ds is happily occupied by a bag of the evils.
Actually, I think ready salted crisps aren't that bad. But then I'm a true salt hound, who can't get enough of it and have perfect blood pressure, even at 36 weeks pg.

nutcracker Tue 11-Jan-05 17:06:16

God mine too, even wotsits (which i adore)

wordgirl Tue 11-Jan-05 17:06:25

I have a crisp cupboard in my kitchen

lowcalCOD Tue 11-Jan-05 17:07:12

me tooa dn the kids
but not every day

beachyhead Tue 11-Jan-05 17:07:52

O thank god for that - I have always and will always be a huge crisp eater. Most nights between 6.30 and 7pm, we sit down for quiet time with a big bag, for ALL of us, including the 3 year old...... they like cheese and onion and salt and vinegar and I like, should I say LOVE AND NEED, walkers lamb and mint sauce. I eat crisps EVERY day - had wotsits for lunch. I'm sorry, I know....

but I am an addict......

I have special crisp bowls at home that have been passed down from my mother - another in the big league of crisp eating -

I blame my parents........

Nimme Tue 11-Jan-05 17:07:58

Ditto - and worse DD1 is allowed a bit of coke now and again (she whispered running of to hide............

scaltygirl Tue 11-Jan-05 17:08:24

Message withdrawn

lowcalCOD Tue 11-Jan-05 17:09:03

I lovwe salt too A, anchovies olives an
yhting salty

sanchpanch Tue 11-Jan-05 17:09:35

dont all children eat these sorts of things??, my daughter enjoys junk food, and has mcdonalds once a week(normally after her 1 hour trampoling on a wednesday), but she also enjoys eating veg and fruit,
I dont believe you can deny your children any of this, and i truly believe that if you do you could push them into secretly eating it when they are slightly older and then that could lead to eating disorder,
There is no shame in what you have said, dont beat yourself up about it

hester Tue 11-Jan-05 17:10:50

Ooh, you've made me hungry now (for Walkers Barbeque flavour, since you ask..)

Angeliz Tue 11-Jan-05 17:10:58

I have a cupboard under the stairs overflowing with crap
Must admit, i've been eating incredibly healthy lately but for the last few days have eaten lots of junk and dd would survive on chicken nuggets aone if i were to let her!!

nikcola Tue 11-Jan-05 17:12:02

dd eats nothing but crisps x

aloha Tue 11-Jan-05 17:12:45

mmmm.....anchovies....

Angeliz Tue 11-Jan-05 17:14:39

bet we're all smiling away at this thread now

Infact i'm starving for crisps now!!!

lowcalCOD Tue 11-Jan-05 17:15:15

yum have you tried delias roasted peers with olives and anchovies?
or her ( very old brown book) psta bacon anchovies abd olive paStA?

AuntyQuated Tue 11-Jan-05 17:16:40

Walkers cheese & onion here but prawn cocktail for dd

Ameriscot2005 Tue 11-Jan-05 17:16:59

I don't buy crisps regularly. The usual pattern is that I get a box of 48 from Costco for about £3.50. Then I eat all the Prawn Cocktail and Worcestershire sauce ones myself; everyone else polishes off the rest over about 2 days, stuffing the empty packets in the couch etc.

Then I get mad, and refuse to buy crisps ever again.

Cycle repeats after about 2 months.

Similar thing with biscuits.

I do keep chicken nuggets in the freezer (the nice ones from Costco) so that DH has something to cook.

aloha Tue 11-Jan-05 17:18:03

Roasted peers, Coddy? What like Baroness Blackstone? Or would that be peppers in Coddy speak ?

Socci Tue 11-Jan-05 17:30:57

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: