Talk

Advanced search

finger food for 9 mo

(13 Posts)
ionesmum Mon 10-Jan-05 19:17:43

My 9 mo dd will only eat finger food - rice cakes, cooked sticks of veg etc. She won't eat anything from a spoon, or anything mushy with her fingers - she likes to get a good grip on it! I think she must be fed up; with bits of veg and toast by now. We are veggie but I am happy for her to have some fish. I'd be really glad of some more ideas on what to give her, even recipes for burgers or fish cake type things.

Thanks so much!!!!!

pixiefish Mon 10-Jan-05 19:19:29

pasta?

warmmum Mon 10-Jan-05 19:20:40

I take the insides of fishfingers (if you are worried about the breadcrumbs on the outside) as they are about the right size.

franch Mon 10-Jan-05 19:21:29

'Cooking for Coco' has great finger food recipes in the 'Missy Independent' chapter. Annabel Karmel does some too, including some nice home-made fish fingers. DD likes picking up flakes of fish and whole sardines (won't eat from a spoon either), and I've now started making veggie burgers for her (from an adult recipe book). Somebody gave me this link a while ago and it was quite useful.

hth

Hayls Mon 10-Jan-05 19:22:12

Myy dd is exactly the same although she's almost a year now. Just some quick suggestiosn but have you tried potato croquettes or veggie burgers? Chunks of cheese, cheese sticks, fish cakes/fingers, boiled egg and toast? My dd loves macaroni that she can pcik up by herself.
Still thinking...another favourite is (healthy!) pizza or chopped up omelette.

Sorry can't hink of any more. My dd does love sausages but we're not veggie and she's older than your dd so it's more appropriate

I'm not much of a cook but I've manaed to make all of these from scratch. There is a good organic cook book that I use for some of these.

milge Mon 10-Jan-05 19:30:19

Tesco veggie fingers( frozen), plus Cauldron lincolnshire veggie sausages cut up into suitably small bits. Pitta bread/breadsticks and hummus/guacamole . sorry thats all i can think of right now...

Hayls Mon 10-Jan-05 19:33:53

Didn't mean cheese sticks, meant cheese straws (not the ones you buy that are made of processed cheese, homemade ones!)

ionesmum Mon 10-Jan-05 21:44:00

Ooooh, lots of lovely ideas. Thanks so much from me and dd2!

TracyK Mon 10-Jan-05 21:47:44

I sometimes do little tiny squares of sandwiches - mushy filling so it sticks together. Also eggy bread cut itnto squares (every night ds gets it!)
Flakes of salmon with some bits of broccoli, bananas, raisins.
my ds (10mo) is the same although he will take pudding from a spoon.

kikidee Mon 10-Jan-05 21:55:45

My ds is the same age and we're doing lots of finger food at the moment. He's just had scrambled egg for the first time and because it has to be cooked until it's quite firm it has solid bits and it actually makes quite a good finger food, although it wouldn't have been something which would immediately spring to mind!Other things we've tried which you've probably already tried are babybels, M&S organic cheese sticks, bananas, bits of ripe pears, blueberries, raspberries, Organix breadsticks, finger sandwiches, etc.
Annabel Karmel has a recipe for savoury rusks and also various other recipes using chicken combined with other things to make fingers/balls. You could use fish instead of chicken or maybe rice balls would be good? Hope this helps.

ionesmum Mon 10-Jan-05 23:13:05

thank you!

Prufrock Tue 11-Jan-05 11:48:59

Fishcakes - mix mashed potato with flaked poached salmon or tinnned tuna and a beaten egg. (You can add herbs if you want her diet to be less bland - parsley/paprika goes down well here) Form mixture into sausages and flatten. Dip in flour, then beaten egg, then homemade breadcrumbs (you need to whizz really stale bread up in your processor to get the breadcrums small enough).
Fry the fishsausages for 2 minutes either side on a fairly low heat (you want then to be beige not dark brown. You can then either use them fresh by putting them in the oven for a few minutes, or lay them out on a baking sheet and freeze them (bag them up once frozen) and cook from frozen for 15/20 mins in medium oven.

DD also loves buttermilk pancakes - 1 egg, 1 spoon sugar, 2 or 3 spoons flour and half a carton of buttermilk. (Can you tell I just chuck it into a bowl without really measuring?) You want a batter about the thickness of creamy yoghurt. Put spoonfuls (they should spread to make a pancake about the size of a cup) into a dry non stick pan on a low heat and cook on a low heat for a couple of minutes until you see little holes on top, then turn and do the other side. Rip one up and give to dd, then put the rest on a plate and drizzle with copious amounts of maple syrupfor yourself!

ionesmum Tue 11-Jan-05 15:38:40

Sounds scrummy - thank you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: