Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

silly question bout yogurt and fromage frais???

(10 Posts)
lilsmum Mon 10-Jan-05 11:41:16

i usually buy fromage frais for dd (amost 12 mth) but picked up some wholemilk yogurts by accident at supermarket.... is it ok to give her the yogurts ? or should i not and get some more fromage frais? what is the difference between them?

Moomina Mon 10-Jan-05 11:43:22

I'm sure wholemilk yogs are absolutely fine. Ds always used to have Rachel's wholemilk yogs instead of fromage frais because they seemed to have less sugar.

aloha Mon 10-Jan-05 11:45:07

Wholemilk yoghurts are not just fine for children but really good for them. Why are you worried? Yoghurt is actually more nutritious.

lilsmum Mon 10-Jan-05 11:58:57

i didnt have a clue!!! duh i am really thick lol. i guess it comes from hv saying give fromage frais, dont know what made me think they were better than yogurts, thanks moomina and aloha, will buy yogurts from now on!!!

sweetkitty Mon 10-Jan-05 13:30:10

DD is just coming up to 6 months and I'd like to start giving her yoghurts and cheese. I was thinking of plain yoghurt with a cube of pear or apple in it or some mashed banana because petit filous seems rally sugary, would this be ok or would normal wholemilk yoghurts do as well?

As for cheese how do you give them it? I know that sounds silly but can I add some to say pureed veggies? And what kind of cheese, we have mature cheddar maybe I should buy some mild?

Marina Mon 10-Jan-05 13:34:59

Mild is less salty than mature, sweetkitty, so that's a good start. Grating some into pureed veg is the time-honoured way to introduce cheese.
Lilsmum, don't worry - the packaging is not helpful. The fromage frais lot never explain properly about the absence of good live cultures in their product (these help with digestion for all ages), they emphasise the calcium content (also good). Fromage frais is made differently to yogurt, it is not "fermented".
But as you get both these benefits from wholemilk yogurt...
If your shop doesn't sell Rachel's (which are delicious), Yeo Valley and Noddy are both other good brands to try.

Cardigan Mon 10-Jan-05 13:38:08

My dds always like Danone Bio yogurts.

Beansmum Mon 10-Jan-05 13:40:49

sweetkitty - ds has plain yoghurt or greek yoghurt with mashed up banana, which he loves. sometimes I put other fruit in, like peach or apricot (peeled first)

he also loves cheese sauce, made with mild or medium cheddar and full fat milk and sometimes mixed with spinach, on veges or tiny pasta shapes.

sweetkitty Mon 10-Jan-05 13:49:03

thanks thats great suggestions

how do you make cheese sauce (i don't like it so never made it)

I'm gonna try dairy next week and wheat the week after

bee3 Mon 10-Jan-05 13:50:14

My ds (and me)loves Yeo Valley fruit organic yohurts. I think they're called tumbletots, or some such silliness. You can get them in Tescos. Not sure about sugar content though...will have to check. Didn't realise petit filous were so sugary

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now