Talk

Advanced search

CHICKEN,RICE & PEAS

(7 Posts)
kymbo Mon 10-Jan-05 11:40:44

I love this dish, I would like to make it for dh and the kids. But have no idea where to start,please someone help. I'm getting sick of the same old dinners!!

Blu Mon 10-Jan-05 11:44:16

Fry a finely chopped onion. Add rice, a big chunk of creamed coconut and some sprigs of thyme. boil - maybe in stock, maybe add a few bacon rinds - (as one traditional recipe puts in some pigtail or pigfoot) - salt. Half way through cooking add a tin of red beans (or gungo peas if you see them), including the juice.
That's how I do it!

kymbo Mon 10-Jan-05 11:46:21

Thanks Blu,
What abou the chicken?

Mothernature Mon 10-Jan-05 11:46:50

This chicken rice recipe is baked in the oven.
INGREDIENTS:

1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
1 cup sliced celery
1 (10oz) package frozen peas, about 1 1/2 cups
2 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 to 1 1/2 cups cooked diced chicken
2 tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 cup shredded mild Cheddar
PREPARATION:

In a medium saucepan, combine rice, celery, water and 1 teaspoon salt.
Heat to boiling. Cover and simmer for about 8 minutes; add peas and cook an additional 8 to 10 minutes, or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan or skillet.

Saute chicken for about 1 minute;
stir in flour, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
Continue to cook, stirring constantly, just until bubbling.
Stir in milk and 1 1/3 cups water.
Continue cooking and stirring until sauce thickens and gently boils for about 1 minute. Pour sauce over the chicken rice mixture; transfer to shallow buttered baking dish.
Sprinkle with cheese; bake chicken rice recipe at 375° for 20 minutes.
Chicken rice bake serves 4.

Blu Mon 10-Jan-05 11:47:55

Oh, sorry, didn't get round to the chicken.
Marinade chicken pieces in a mixture of Jerk Seasoning (in jars from supermarket - or you can use powder - I think jars are better) mixed with soy, ketchup or tomato puree and oil.
The oven-roast quite slowly, basting, or cover with fpil at forst to prevent burning.

Serve with some slices of fried plantain if you can get it...buy it nealy black, peel, slice longwise, and fry till it looks cooked through in plenty of oil. Dab in kitchen paper.

Blu Mon 10-Jan-05 11:49:24

And creamed coconut is the stuff sold in solid blocks in a box - not coconut cream in a can. Use a lot.

kymbo Mon 10-Jan-05 12:04:13

Thanks guys,
2 different ones,excellent! Once I've mastered those,I'm going to try curried goat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now