Talk

Advanced search

loaf sugar and fondant icing

(3 Posts)
MrsFogi Mon 10-Jan-05 11:19:41

Can anyone tell me what loaf sugar is + can I use another type of sugar to make fondant icing?
Also, how difficult is fondant icing to make, I had a look at a recipe this weekend and it sounded a bit daunting!

Soothepoo Mon 10-Jan-05 11:40:05

Do you mean icing you can roll out? If yes, then I wouldn't bother to make your own - it is a faff, and the stuff that supermarkets or cake decorating shops sell is good. Regal Ice, or Sainsbury's ready to roll are the ones I know.
Loaf sugar, as far as I know, is sugar in a big block, so you would need to chip off the amount you need to use. I wouldn't have thought that would be good to use for fondant icing, as it needs to be very smooth.

LIZS Mon 10-Jan-05 11:47:13

I've used regular icing sugar for fondant icing. I was terrified but actually it came together really well when I had to make it. If you use fresh egg white it only keeps fresh for a few days though so apparently using powdered egg white is better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now