Talk

Advanced search

runny eggs

(25 Posts)
nailpolish Sun 09-Jan-05 11:47:30

hi everyone

dh made a big cooked brekkie this morning and we ended up arguing because he made a runny egg for dd. she is 2 now but i dont think its safe to give her a runny egg, but dh does.

what does everyone else think?

TIA

marthamoo Sun 09-Jan-05 11:57:36

A friend of my Mum had a grandson who got salmonella at age 3 (he was very, very poorly - in hospital for a long time). They thought the most likely source of the salmonella was soft boiled eggs, which he loved. The doctor said that no child under 5 should eat runny eggs.

But that was about 6 years ago. Lion marked eggs come from chickens which have been vaccinated against salmonella now here . But, as far as I know, pregnant woman, the elderly, and small children (my HV said when I introduced egg into ds2's diet it should be "cooked until it would bounce off the floor!") are still advised not to eat things with undercooked egg in. I don't know why!

Personally, I don't give soft boiled eggs to ds2 (he is 3) and I have never let either of mine lick out the cake mix bowl (poor deprived children). Ds1 has been having soft boiled and fried eggs since he was about 5.

nailpolish Sun 09-Jan-05 12:06:21

thanks marthamoo, thats what i thought too.

now ill just get dh to come and read this!

thats a real shame about your mums friends grandson, poor wee thing

JulieF Sun 09-Jan-05 13:17:10

I love runny eggs and it was a real sacrifice not to have them when pg with dd. However sonce the re-introduction of the lion mark I decided when pg with ds that they were safe. I also give runny eggs to dd aged 3, although not to ds aged 11 months.

Mosschops30 Sun 09-Jan-05 13:30:36

Message withdrawn

Mosschops30 Sun 09-Jan-05 13:31:20

Message withdrawn

KateandtheGirls Sun 09-Jan-05 13:32:27

Because of Marthamoo's first sentence:

"A friend of my Mum had a grandson who got salmonella at age 3 (he was very, very poorly - in hospital for a long time)."

The risk is tiny, but it's there. Whether you take the risk is up to you.

nailpolish Sun 09-Jan-05 13:34:26

there are some things i dont worry too much about, like nuts for example, i just have a thing about eggs. dont know why. i think there are official guidelines for things like what not eat when you are pg, but its up to the individual if they want to follow them. on the positive side there are things like the lion mark, which give reassurance

Mosschops30 Sun 09-Jan-05 13:35:14

Message withdrawn

KateandtheGirls Sun 09-Jan-05 13:36:42

I agree mosschops, there are risks everywhere and we each have to decide personally where to draw the line.

nailpolish Sun 09-Jan-05 13:38:43

i never intended to start an arguement! i had this with dh this morning. we agreed to disagree. in the end dd told me she doesnt like runny eggs. i sad to dh 'pohpooh to you' and lol

if you are not careful i will e mail mn and have this deleted

Tinker Sun 09-Jan-05 13:39:37

Love runny eggs and still have them now am pregnant. Woudl give them to a child as well. Sorry, not really helpful.

nailpolish Sun 09-Jan-05 13:41:48

is helpful, tinker, im just interested in everyones opinions

KateandtheGirls Sun 09-Jan-05 13:46:20

It's an interesting discussion (not argument) though Nailpolish. Where do we all individually draw the line when it comes to these things?

Personally I have never been worried about runny eggs (didn't know you were supposed to be). I wouldn't give my girls raw eggs though. Over here now you can buy eggs that have been pasteurised in their shells, so that you can use them raw in, for example, ceasar salad, or just to eat the cookie dough.

nailpolish Sun 09-Jan-05 13:47:32

i know, i know KATG

im just treading on eggshells just now (hehehe)

KateandtheGirls Sun 09-Jan-05 13:48:23

nailpolish Sun 09-Jan-05 13:49:09

i have a friend who is pg for the 2nd time, and she is eating soft cheeses, pate etc. she is intelligent enough to make up her own mind etc, but when the mw asks her is she avoiding these, she says yes! daft

marthamoo Sun 09-Jan-05 14:23:34

Sainsbury's do those eggs that have been pasteurised in their shells - they are in the chill cabinet, I believe.

I don't think it was an argument, nailpolish - it's just one of those make up your own mind things. Personally I was careful to the point of paranoia in pregnancy and wouldn't eat pate, soft cheese, unwashed salad etc. Likewise, there are certain things I avoid giving my children. I can't protect them from every risk - but some I can. But each to their own

SenoraPostrophe Sun 09-Jan-05 14:28:54

Dd has runny eggs all the time. I don't worry about it, but I do try to buy free-range eggs or eggs from small farms (all that intensive farming nonsense is bad generally, but I'm buggered if my dd is missing out on egg and soldiers just because modern farms are too big and greedy to control disease properly. rant rant)

On soft cheese etc - the risk is tiny if food is eaten fresh. I did avoid pate in pregnancy, but not cheese. Then I found out that tinned pate is OK anyway. So now I ignore it all.

aloha Sun 09-Jan-05 17:50:15

I did some research into salmonella in eggs and it is effectively eradicated thanks to vaccination (Lion Mark). Recent tests failed to find any sign of it in over 2,000 eggs. Mind you I hate eggs! I would personally worry more about listeria than salmonella - so I have avoided brie and restaurant pate, but I do eat packs of salad - too lazy to wash it. I think it is a very, very good idea to be informed of risks and I don't think of it as preaching or nannying, but I have to say, I also take the approach that I will never eliminate all risks from my life - or diet!

JulieF Sun 09-Jan-05 19:50:37

I thought the reason you shouldn't eat pate in pregnancy was because it contains too much vit a rather than any listeria etc worries.

In which case why would it make any difference if it is tinned.

I know that jar mayonnaise etc is OK because of the pasteurisation.

SenoraPostrophe Sun 09-Jan-05 20:17:13

JulieF - just as well I avoided it then!

Can't remember where I read that tinned pate is OK. I have a very good ability to retain info, but never retain the source.

Tinker Sun 09-Jan-05 20:19:00

It is the (tiny) listeria risk. Asked my midwife the same question.

triceratops Sun 09-Jan-05 20:29:34

I would eat lion marked eggs runny while pregnant and give them to my son (very good source of iron), I wouldn't bother to cook a cake if I couldn't lick the bowl - its the best bit.

weightwatchingwaterwitch Sun 09-Jan-05 20:54:16

Another one who ate runny eggs when pregnant (I did get salmonella when 20 weeks pregnant but I'm pretty sure it WASN'T from the eggs, more likely a dodgy pub meal) and would give them to a 2 year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now