Talk

Advanced search

Making backwards progress in weaning.

(8 Posts)
spots Sat 08-Jan-05 12:23:34

I already have had a few moans about DD's large appetite for breastfeeds and her small appetite for solids. Well. last week she was ill and now seems to have regressed totally, rejecting anything except (if we're lucky) the fruity Hipp jars. I know fruity Hipp jarts and breastmilk are prob. a better basic diet than a lot of adults eat but she's 8 months old next week and I feel very frustrated! Nothing makes me happier than seeing her little mouth open willingly for a spoonful. It's a sight I'm seeing less and less of as time goes on.

hercules Sat 08-Jan-05 12:49:47

What about mashed sweet potato with grated cheese and peas. You can also add parsnip. It's sweet.

amynnixmum Sat 08-Jan-05 12:55:12

My sis just had the same problem with her baby. She is 10 months and has been eating solids for a while now but last month she was ill for a couple of weeks and then would only take bottles and refused solids. Sis took her to hv to check her weight as she was worried and hv advised her to not give in and let her have a bottle but to hold out until she took the solids. It made for a bit of a miserable day but 24 hours later she was eating normally again

Twiglett Sat 08-Jan-05 13:00:19

HAve you tried finger foods spots? just a thought but some babies when they start getting self-aware are happier with finger foods .. like bread / fruit / cooked carrots etc

MistressMary Sat 08-Jan-05 13:35:28

I had this partly due to teething and then I started finger food. Little squares of bread and butter or banana.
Does your baby see you eat or do you eat together?

Frizbe Sat 08-Jan-05 13:41:30

dd gets like that when she's ill or teething, she drops her solid food to only her favourites now, (when a bit younger tho it was petit filou and milk only) IMO you know they're not well when they refuse petit filou! but I'm lukcy in that she generally picks up the eating ok again, I agree with the post below re finger foods, and if she's eating with you, she'll hopefully soon want to eat the same as you (it makes your diet better!)

spots Sat 08-Jan-05 16:20:59

Yes she does seem to be happier with finger foods, but seldom gets much down her neck. only one tooth, just mulches everything up! still, suppose it means she's getting different flavours which is actually my main concern. Hate fussy eating!

Hercules, lovely as it sounds sweet potato in any form gets the thumbs down. It doesn't seem to be an option, introducing anything new at all. I have eaten more sweet potato, squash and sweetcorn this last week than you can shake a stick (of cooked carrot) at .

I am the world's worst holder outer, amynixmum... so not much hope on that score! well done your sis though.

Thanks all for suggestions. Am seeing own hv on Monday so shall see what transpires. Meanwhile, yes Frizbe, my eating will be exemplary as I try and tempt her!

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sat 08-Jan-05 16:31:17

Hi Spots. DT1 is being a bit fussy with her food at the moment. She was also ill and was hardly eating anything. I decided to go down the finger food route. She is wolfing it all down. As to the sweet potato etc, what I do is to slice it all up and either serve it steamed or roasted. I sliced sweet potato, potato, parsnips, carrots and plantain into chips, wiped them with some sunflower oil and roasted them. She loved it. She ate it all and yet when I gave her the same foods mashed she refused. I think that they just get to a stage where they want to do it themselves. DT1 now lives on finger food whereas DT2 will eat whatever you put in front of him. hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now