Talk

Advanced search

Healthy dried/powdered baby food?

(14 Posts)
zebra Thu 06-Jan-05 20:43:29

Are any powdered/dried baby foods better than others? I would really like something without maltodextrin (in Cow+Gate products), or other funny sugars/sweeteners. Or am I stuck with baby rice if I want something relatively un-sugar-added to mix with DS's milk (he won't drink it otherwise!).

Thanks in Advance....

zebra Thu 06-Jan-05 21:07:03

Bump.

JulieF Fri 07-Jan-05 11:48:33

How old is he zebra? Its really hard to find such a product.

Babyorganix used to do a couple of gunk free, sugar free porridges. However they have now removed oats from their range so although they still do fruit porridges without sugar, they are rice based.

The best of a bad bunch I could find was Boots own porridge. It still contains sugar but no other gunk.

sweetkitty Fri 07-Jan-05 12:13:53

spooky I was thinking the exact same thing

DD about to start breakfasts as well and would like to buy her some porridge without added sugar and gunk as you say cannot find any without added sugar.

I think Annabel Carmel says that babies cereals are a waste of money after a certain age they can have ready brek and weetabix, I know these have some sugar in them bit not as much as ones specifically for babies.

nailpolish Fri 07-Jan-05 12:14:41

Boots own brand is nice

DissLocated Fri 07-Jan-05 12:45:16

Have just checked our box of Ready Brek, it doesn't have any added sugar. Dd loves it, especially with Heinz just fruit puree mixed in!

Weetabix is also good if you don't mind gluten, although it does make for very scary nappies!

HappyMumof2 Fri 07-Jan-05 13:38:07

Message withdrawn

zebra Fri 07-Jan-05 15:57:51

6.5months old...
porridge is a good idea, I didn't think of that (durh....)
Isn't ReadyBrek wheat based? Only I am trying to keep wheat products to a (workable) minimum, too.

DissLocated Fri 07-Jan-05 16:06:12

Ready Brek is oat based.

sweetkitty Fri 07-Jan-05 16:20:17

can you give them ready brek after 6 months with cows milk then?

Even the Heinz organic Oats cereal had loads of sugar in it as well.

DissLocated Fri 07-Jan-05 16:25:34

I got a sample of Ready Brek with my Bounty weaning box, it said suitable from 6 months on the packet. I believe cow's milk is ok after 6 months so long as it's not as a main drink.

HappyMumof2 Fri 07-Jan-05 16:30:52

Message withdrawn

sweetkitty Fri 07-Jan-05 16:34:09

she's 6 months in 2 weeks so I'm going to start her on cows milk, I know she still needs breastfeeding as her main source of food etc but cows milk will be so much easier than expressing milk for her baby rice etc I did put some in her mashed potato I made last week and she's been fine

theres no allergies in our family so I think I will introduce milk next week she how she goes then try wheat the week after

can she have weetabox then from about 6 months?

HappyMumof2 Fri 07-Jan-05 16:41:20

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now