Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

advice on weaning

(9 Posts)
fairycakes Wed 05-Jan-05 21:16:01

help! im unable to see my health visitor for a few weeks, and started weaning my 4 month old on monday with baby rice.

how long do i keep giving her baby rice for, when do i introduce something else, and what should i introduce next?!

thanks!!

hermykne Wed 05-Jan-05 21:49:01

maybe three days on rice alone then
pear pureed with the baby rice
genrally intoduce a new taste every 3 days,
after pear , carrot mixed with the rice and gradually decrease the rice amt so they get use to the new taste alone.
try banana, peaches steamed if hard, courgettes,sweet potato all pureed.
any maybe by 3 weeks potato mixed with carrot or sweet potato.
porridge pureed again! at 3wks.

MrsBigD Wed 05-Jan-05 21:52:40

fairycakes... not much help I'm afraid... ds has been on solids since 3 months and he's gobbling up anything I throw his way. I dared eating noodles whilst feeding him his pureed mixed veggies... guess what he wanted! He seems to be coping well with it and loves mainly anything with carrot and sweet potatoe and also with pear and banana

vict17 Wed 05-Jan-05 22:08:14

tryhere
orhere

poppy101 Thu 06-Jan-05 19:43:21

I have followed the GF Weaning book, as it tells you basically what you should do every day and is very prescribed.

LIZS Thu 06-Jan-05 19:49:18

Think first tiem I did about a week of baby rice then carrot with rice and milk - one spoon to about 3 first day, increasing carrot and reducing rice over a few days, then another veg with rice and milk, then both veg with rice etc each for about 3 days consecutively. With dd was less regimented, skipped the rice altogether and just went for root veg then fruit, adding rice if it was too runny. Used Annabel Karmel as a guide and some of her recipes suggested unusual ways of introducing new flavours with already tolerated ones.

fairycakes Fri 07-Jan-05 00:00:11

thanks for the advice! x

sweetkitty Fri 07-Jan-05 16:38:05

I'm roughly following Annabel K who suggests

one meal a day for 2 weeks

then upping it to another for another 2 weeks

finally getting to 2 after another 2 weeks if that makes sense

she also says you don't need to wait the 3 days before introducing each new taste, I started with banana mixed with breast milk, then baby rice, then carrot. DD was 5 months 1 week when we started weaning so maybe it made a difference her being older.

fairycakes Wed 12-Jan-05 11:31:29

oooh, its messy business this weaning! but great fun, tahnks for all the ideas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now