Talk

Advanced search

freezing things

(11 Posts)
florenceuk Fri 13-Dec-02 11:01:02

Very boring topic sorry. I am quite ignorant of conventions on freezing certain things like fishcakes, meatballs, chicken balls (AK strikes again). Does anybody know whether you cook them first and then defrost/reheat, or freeze them uncooked? Also how about eggs - have a recipe for crustless quiche but wondered about cooking it up, freezing portions and then reheating (microwave) - would this work or would it turn to rubbery mess?

Lucy123 Fri 13-Dec-02 11:07:37

florennceuk - you can freeze things like meatballs etc either cooked or uncooked, depending on how much you care about the work of reheating vs cooking (if you see what I mean). Quiches also freeze very well, although the pastry can go a bit soggy - a crustless quiche would be just fine.

In fact the only things you can't freeze are banana, avocado and uncooked veg (as in salads etc) - I don't know what I'd do without it!

susanmt Fri 13-Dec-02 11:13:25

I usually freeze things like that uncooked, cos if you cook, freeze and reheat thay can be a bit overcooked or rubbery!

Copper Fri 13-Dec-02 11:53:47

Actually you can freeze banana - and use it to make wonderful ice-cold milk shakes! It's best to freeze it sliced or chopped, not in its skin (impossible to peel when frozen, and it needs to be chopped to liquidise it anyway)

florenceuk Sat 14-Dec-02 11:34:36

Thanks. Chicken meatballs are now in the freezer. Now I want a new fridge with a BIG freezer!

clucks Sun 15-Dec-02 12:39:43

Don't buy one of those self-defrosting integrated ones, they're rubbish. We have one and the fridge freezes things even on level 1 if too close to the back and not v deep either.

If I was you I would get a separate chest freezer, space allowing. I think they're quite cheap and don't break down. I'm too mean to get one having forked out for this fancy one which is dreadful.

florenceuk Sun 15-Dec-02 21:52:46

Clucks I was thinking of one of those frost-free fridge freezers with the four drawers - what brand was yours? No room for a chest freezer unfortunately.

clucks Mon 16-Dec-02 23:36:34

Mine wasn't a 4 drawer one. just a big fridge and freezer compartment which is too small so I'm still using my trusty old fridge/freezer (which does have 4 drawers).

The new fancy one is de dietrich or something (we were fooled by the German engineering). and the old one which hasn't troubled me is Zanussi.

Wait till Jan if you believe in sales.

Bozza Tue 17-Dec-02 10:27:41

We've got a Zanussi frost free fridge with four drawer freezer - it cost £500 five years ago and has never had to be defrosted or anything. Even we moved we just emptied the fridge part, unplugged it, stuck it upright in a transit van and plugged it back in (we only moved about 1/2 mile.

I would say it was brilliant apart from that when I was 8 months pregant the door fell off. I was cooking with my back to it and it nearly caused me to have the baby there and then. it went with a huge thud, dented/cracked the laminate flooring and we had a nice concoction of eggs/milk/orange juice/ketchup all over the kitchen floor and splashed up the walls.

Bozza Tue 17-Dec-02 10:27:42

We've got a Zanussi frost free fridge with four drawer freezer - it cost £500 five years ago and has never had to be defrosted or anything. Even we moved we just emptied the fridge part, unplugged it, stuck it upright in a transit van and plugged it back in (we only moved about 1/2 mile.

I would say it was brilliant apart from that when I was 8 months pregant the door fell off. I was cooking with my back to it and it nearly caused me to have the baby there and then. it went with a huge thud, dented/cracked the laminate flooring and we had a nice concoction of eggs/milk/orange juice/ketchup all over the kitchen floor and splashed up the walls.

Bozza Tue 17-Dec-02 10:27:55

Sorry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: