Talk

Advanced search

Clingfilm in the Oven?

(13 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Tue 04-Jan-05 22:51:05

I'm planning to do a Delia recipe for Pumpkin Cheesecake. It tells me to wrap the springform in clingfilm, then put a nest of tinfoil, then put it in water, in the oven.

I understand what the water is for, and what the clingfilm is for. But won't it melt? Or something? It just seems deeply wrong ...

Twiglett Tue 04-Jan-05 22:56:03

you lost me at springform I'm afraid

wobblystarryknicks Tue 04-Jan-05 22:56:52

Lost me at delia - pmsl!!

lockets Tue 04-Jan-05 22:57:37

Message withdrawn

hattynewyear Tue 04-Jan-05 22:57:46

another one who doesn't know what springform is. However I find myself torn between thinking that clingfilm in teh oven is a ludicrous idea and that Delia is so anal she would never get anything wrong. Not sure how to reconcile these

Twiglett Tue 04-Jan-05 22:58:13

you need JanH .. she knows everything

weightwatchingwaterwitch Tue 04-Jan-05 22:59:38

Isn't springform the tin? And if the clingfilm is wrapped in foil it'll be ok won't it. Although it seems deeply wrong to me too. Delia's lost it maybe?!

HappyNewCardigan Tue 04-Jan-05 23:06:24

Sounds strange - could you try the Delia clingfilm method as a test & see what happened? What is the clingfilm for - to repel the water? - could you use another dish between the cakedish & the water? Do you mean springform cake tin? Hope your cheesecake turns out ok!

Zephyrcat Tue 04-Jan-05 23:08:18

clingfilm wont melt in foil in water i dont think. but springform???? lol

NotQuiteCockney Wed 05-Jan-05 08:32:25

Sorry, it's Nigella, not Delia. Duh. Which is why I'm twitchy. It's my first Nigella recipe. And someone around here said something snide about her not being reliable ... (I'm a Nigel girl, and his cheesecake just goes in the oven, no water, no clingfilm, no fuss.)

By springform, I meant springform cake tin, yes. Sorry, I was writing the message before rushing off to deal with pumpkin cake issues ... I don't know why I bother, I've got to find another use for giant mutant squash.

I might have a trial. Or look on American sites for another pumpkin cheesecake recipe. Or should I wait for JanH? I've got to do this tonight, it's for a birthday tomorrow.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 05-Jan-05 08:33:12

Oh, yes, and the clingfilm is to keep the water getting in the tin, or the cheesecake getting out.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 06-Jan-05 14:56:06

It worked fine! The clingfilm didn't melt at all, and it did seem to be holding the cheesecake in, as the tin itself was a bit greasy when I took the clingfilm off.

The recipe was a bit odd though - it was meant to be for a 23cm springform, I only had 24cm. And it only just fit in the tin. I'm sure it would have overflown a 23cm one!

I don't know how it tastes yet, but it certainly looks and smells good.

Carla Thu 06-Jan-05 15:06:04

For once in his life DH tried to be helpful. On Christmas day he stuffed the Christmas pudding in the microwave covered in .... kitchen foil. At least I still have my microwave .....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: