Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

It's probably been asked before but ...

(12 Posts)
Millie1 Tue 04-Jan-05 21:03:13

... can baby and toddler (1 and 3) have food (stews, slow cooked roasts) cooked with a good slug (or in the case of a couple of Jamie's recipes) bottle (or half) of red wine? Presumably all the alcohol evaporates during cooking but ... is it okay for them?

Thanks

zebra Tue 04-Jan-05 21:36:27

Shall I bump this up & provoke a row??
Far as I understand, the alky should all evaporate off if you cook it long enough, and nothing else to harm them, really....

Tinker Tue 04-Jan-05 21:37:43

I wouldn't think twice about giving it to them. They might even sleep better

Millie1 Tue 04-Jan-05 21:38:30

Thanks Zebra ... hope it doesn't start a row, certainly don't want to but there are some lovely sounding recipes that I really want to try - am so sick of this separate meals lark that I want things we can all eat. Maybe that's a bit of wishful thinking!

KateandtheGirls Tue 04-Jan-05 21:38:41

Oh, yeah. That's fine.

On the other hand, you might not want to trust my advice. My 5 and 2 year olds had Bucks Fizz on New Year's Day - a tiny bit of champers and lots of OJ.

<<Kate barricades herself in her house with her children before social services comes to take them away.>>

Mooseofawaterwitch Tue 04-Jan-05 21:38:51

It does evaporate during cooking so you're left with the taste but not the alcohol. I'm not sure if this applies in the case of a bottle but certainly a bit won't do any harm afaik.

Millie1 Tue 04-Jan-05 21:38:57

Did wonder about that Tinker!!!!

Millie1 Tue 04-Jan-05 21:40:56

Goodness ... replies thick and fast - thank you! I'm sure your girls remained perfectly sober Kate ... I on the other hand, sampled babysham in my uncle's pub at the age of ... uh, under 6 (no adults in the vicinity just my cousin feeding me alcohol!!) ... and slept for the afternoon!!!! I understand I was quite sozzled!

walliamsbabysmum Tue 04-Jan-05 21:41:12

Unless they eat the whole dish, I would say that a little portion won't do them any harm. Help them to sleep better and develop a taste for red wine (which can't be a bad thing, surely )

Millie1 Tue 04-Jan-05 21:41:25

Reputation ruined now I guess!

Twiglett Tue 04-Jan-05 22:06:51

wouldn't think twice about it .. go for it

bet they turn their noses up and ask for chicken nuggets though

handlemecarefully Tue 04-Jan-05 22:40:36

I think it's rather nice that they will be eating cordon bleu at such a tender age....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now