Talk

Advanced search

What food do you carry around for your 1-year-old?

(48 Posts)
rouge Tue 04-Jan-05 14:33:01

Following on from my restaurant food thread (I was caught out with no food in my bag for DD yesterday - other than a couple of rice cakes), what should I have been carrying? She doesn't like being spoonfed any more so jars don't go down well. I can always pop a banana or something in bag for a snack but I'm thinking more in terms of when we're out and about at mealtimes and she wants something more substantial - also I'd particularly like some 'storecupboard' type ideas as I often run out of fresh stuff just when I need to pack a bag for the day. Inspiration please!

Kayleigh Tue 04-Jan-05 14:39:30

Raisins were always a staple in my bag, actually they still are and my boys are 6 and 3

breadsticks
rich tea fingers

kangasantamummy Tue 04-Jan-05 14:45:43

BTW I saw on ITV THIS MORNING a box thing for putting a whole bananna in to stop it getting squashed. It was purple and plastic and shaped like a bananna
{as long as your banannas are regulation shaped}

hunkermunker Tue 04-Jan-05 14:45:44

I take a sandwich out for DS too - he likes cheese and I'm about to be more experimental and try shredded chicken and things. Have a recipe for lentil, spinach and cream cheese which sounds like fun! He likes houmous too, but you wouldn't know if from his face when he's eating it!!

I use lock n lock boxes (from Lakeland and also Waitrose) to put his food in.

Try bits of salad and fruit too - these boxes are fantastic as they're airtight and leakproof and go from freezer to microwave.

DS was nine months old yesterday, btw!

Bozza Tue 04-Jan-05 14:48:53

What does she eat at home? If she's not into jars should be getting to the point where she can just eat your food. Agree with Kayleigh about the snacks but don't think you cna be carrying a full meal around for just in case.

gingerbear Tue 04-Jan-05 14:50:58

baby bels
dairylea triangles
mini rice cakes
wholemeal pitta bread cut into strips
banana
dried apple rings
scone
mini muffins (I bake a big batch and freeze them)
natural

gingerbear Tue 04-Jan-05 14:51:30

...yoghurt mixed with a small tin of fruit

elliott Tue 04-Jan-05 14:54:20

sandwiches. milk. fruit (usually cut up and in a pot). that's as imaginative as I get!
But I rarely leave the house without these things as ds1 (3) and ds2 (1) generally need stoking every couple of hours!

rouge Tue 04-Jan-05 20:08:56

Useful suggestions everyone, thanks.

kangasantamummy - you're talking about the bananaguard - I have one - they're great and actually have fitted every banana I've bought! There's a thread about them here .

kangasantamummy Tue 04-Jan-05 20:25:24

that is brill

glad they fit

missed that thread

Fennel Tue 04-Jan-05 20:57:02

Cold pasta twirls in tupperware pot. if you like you can add bits of pepper, cheese, cucumber etc and call it pasta salad.
Geobars/fruisli bars
Laughing cow breadsticks and dip
Those highland oatcakes which look (and taste) like cardboard coasters (but they are sugar free)

Sandwiches and fresh or dried fruit are our staples though

acnebride Tue 04-Jan-05 21:04:19

I'm not carrying much around for ds these days but satsumas always, boiled potatoes are quite a good one, esp new potatoes cause having their skins holds them together, plus a few carrot sticks done in the microwave for a minute and a few bits of cheese. I also give him Farley's rusks though I don't know why I don't just give him a Mars bar which would probably be healthier.

Posey Tue 04-Jan-05 21:15:09

Something we have, besides a lot of the stuff already mentioned are fruity buns (tea cakes, hot cross buns that type of thing)
also recently discoverd Brioche rolls (ideal as ds isn't a great fan of conventional bread, and unlike sandwiched can be returned to the cupboard if not eaten)

KateandtheGirls Tue 04-Jan-05 21:18:24

I tended not to carry much around for them foodwise once they were eating "real" food, but if I did I would just carry easy, convenient, if not terribly healthy, things like individual bags of Goldfish crackers or pretzels.

Surfermum Tue 04-Jan-05 21:20:13

I always have an emergency organix chewey bar in the changing bag, and an emergency chocolate bar for me. I suffer with coming over faint and needing it when out shopping.

janeybops Tue 04-Jan-05 21:21:26

My ds went off baby jars by about 11-12 months and he started eating what we were eating. So if we are out I just buy him a children's portion of whatever is on offer! He has a large appetite and the stronger tasting the food the bettter!

He also manages to eat more than his sister who is 4 soon. By the way Pizza Hut have never charged me for him yet when we go in for a lunchtime buffet and he eats loads!!! He is 14 months

rouge Tue 04-Jan-05 22:45:33

Great stuff - thanks. Surfermum - I relate

lockets Tue 04-Jan-05 22:48:01

Message withdrawn

rouge Tue 04-Jan-05 22:50:58

hum zingers? little moos???

lockets Tue 04-Jan-05 22:54:13

Message withdrawn

alexsmum Tue 04-Jan-05 23:01:27

took my sixteen month old for tapas the other day and that went down very well!

mishi1977 Tue 04-Jan-05 23:02:54

hi
my son is 14mths and i tend to have raisins or dried apricots in bag
he will also eat cheese string the small sticks or babybel
and the fruit stix things think they r hum zingers...

mishi1977 Tue 04-Jan-05 23:05:05

forgot to say as someone else said he does eat a childs portion of whatever we have...even curry..lol..he loves it but only mild..obviously

Frizbe Tue 04-Jan-05 23:32:26

boots r doing some nice yoghurt coated raisens, also blueberry coated...mini jammy dogers go down well with our two as well!

serenity Tue 04-Jan-05 23:34:14

Well, when we went out shopping today I took a satsuma and some cut up apple to keep DD (14 mths) happy whilst we were trawling through the shops, but for lunch we went to a cafe and she had an egg mayo sandwich.

To refer back to the original thread - we don't use salt very often at home (have Losalt when we do) so I don't get too stressed in restaurants, DD loves Chicken Korma and Nan bread, and also Pizza Hut's Macaroni Cheese Kids meal.

The only thing I always always take is a drink for her, as she drinks like a fish now she's stopped having milk (her choice!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now