Talk

Advanced search

Get your thinking caps on for 7 year old who doesnt like a lot

(10 Posts)
pepsi Mon 03-Jan-05 21:37:51

My friend is really worried about her 7 year old ds. He is a fit and lovely little boy who is growing, but he doesnt like so many foods, hence she struggles to find new meals for him.

Here is what he likes and doesnt like so any ideas would be great:-

Hates:

cheese in anything
tomato toppings/sauces inc. baked bead, pizzas, etc.
Will only eat apples, no other fruit.
May occasionall eat a few peas or a slice of carrot.
I dont think he eats red meat and I dont think he likes pasta either. He eats mash potato at school but refuses it at home.

Eats

cod: fish fingers and fish cakes
small amount of roast chicken
garlic bread
tinned chunky veg soup
bread and butter
toast
some yoghurts but with no lumps.

His eating is linked to texture and smell, he will often decide whether to eat something purely on the initial smell. My list is brief. He does drink milk too. Its really hard on his mum she works full time so its very difficult to prepare meals that take a long time, any help or advice?

milliways Mon 03-Jan-05 21:55:19

If he likes garlic bread, will he eat garlic potato wedges. My DS will not eat mash or boiled spuds, or chips (unless McDonalds),only roast or wedges.

TheDragon Mon 03-Jan-05 22:02:02

Pizza? You can make batches of tomato sauce to freeze and hide loads of vveggies in it.

juniperdewdrop Mon 03-Jan-05 22:11:32

I bet if you asked a GP they'd say not to worry.

Not much help I know but at least he isn't like the lad who only ate jam butties, then again he was healthy too!

juniperdewdrop Mon 03-Jan-05 22:11:57

he hates tomato toppings tho dragon

pepsi Mon 03-Jan-05 22:15:27

Sorry all, please ignore messages, after watching the news tonight and seeing those poor poor people in Asia I cant believe Im worrying about a 7 year old who lives in a house full of food who has a home, parents, and well, everything. Cant believe Ive been selfish enough to post tonight. Sorry.

TheDragon Mon 03-Jan-05 22:15:47

Damn Tomato sauces are great for hiding stuff in.

Dior Mon 03-Jan-05 22:19:58

Message withdrawn

JanH Mon 03-Jan-05 22:20:16

Sounds exactly like DS2, except that he would eat pizza (including cheese) but wouldn't eat peas or carrots.

You didn't mention spuds other than school mash - what about chips? roasties? waffles?

I agree with jd though, it's not a bad diet.

pepsi, please don't feel bad about him v SE Asia. We can worry about them and him at the same time but differently.

juniperdewdrop Mon 03-Jan-05 22:25:06

Noooo pepsi, don't think like that hun. We'd all end up ill if we didn't try to get on with our lives. Hope someone can think of things he'll eat for your mate. I just don't worry so much as my DS2 is 4 and has a very limited diet but is ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now