Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

any ideas for left over stollen cake???????

(10 Posts)
sallystrawberry Thu 30-Dec-04 21:34:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SantaGoesToTheGym Thu 30-Dec-04 21:54:39

Left over ??

You lucky girl, just found two full ones I had stashed in and forgotten about, in the utility room (it is very cold)

Will watch this thread with interest.

DelGirl Thu 30-Dec-04 21:56:36

what about queens pudding or making it into trifle. dont like either as im not a huge pudding fan, tho dont suppose that shows . just an idea

morningpaper Thu 30-Dec-04 21:57:52

Feed it to the ducks.

Or

It's quite nice warm with custard.

Basically all the things I can think of doing with it ultimately involve eating it, which I'm quite tired of now...

DelGirl Thu 30-Dec-04 21:58:47

lol morningpaper

WigWamBam Fri 31-Dec-04 19:43:54

BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING
Serves 6

60g dried cranberries (or raisins, currants, etc)
3 tbsp port or sherry (or use apple juice)
About 500g stollen, sliced
50g unsalted butter, softened
2 large egg yolks
2 large eggs
40g caster sugar
300ml double cream
300ml milk
1 tsp almond essence
3 tbsp apricot jam, optional

1 Gently heat the cranberries in the port or sherry in a small pan then leave until cold. Spread the bread slices with most of the butter, leaving a large knob to grease the sides of a 1.5-litre shallow ovenproof dish. Arrange the bread in the dish in overlapping layers, sprinkling in between with the cranberries.
2 Beat the yolks, eggs and sugar in a large bowl until creamy. Then beat in the cream, milk and almond essence.
3 Slowly pour this over the bread, then press the bread slices completely under the liquid with your (clean) hands so they all soak up the custard. Leave to rest for at least an hour while you preheat the oven to 180C, Gas 4.
4 When ready to cook, place the dish in a roasting pan and pour boiling water to come halfway up the dish as a bain-marie. This ensures the custard does not overheat and curdle.
5 Bake for 1 hour. Warm the jam until runny and brush over the top of the pudding, then return it to the oven for another 15 minutes. Cool for a good half hour before serving. It is best served warm, not scalding hot.

brusselbeansprouts Fri 31-Dec-04 19:46:50

Er, read this as "stolen" cake...

aloha Fri 31-Dec-04 19:49:35

Put it in the bin! It was that or on my hips for all eternity...

Caligulights Fri 31-Dec-04 20:13:56

Eat it!

Every breakfast time, lunch time and snack time.

Freeze it? (Can you?)

7samsaswimming Fri 31-Dec-04 20:38:01

It's nice heated in the microwave with a dollop of yummy vanilla ice cream too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now