Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which cookery book did you get for Christmas?

(37 Posts)
AuntyQuated Thu 30-Dec-04 16:00:04

what have you tried out of it/them?
what was it like?
any tips?

AuntyQuated Thu 30-Dec-04 16:01:29

i got jamie's dinners and Ainsley ahrriot's Family and Friends

haven't tried anyhting out of either yet but Jamie's looks more inspiring than the other

am going to choose something out of them to do on NYD. any recommendations

cupcakes Thu 30-Dec-04 16:52:21

Got Nigella's Feast. Yet to try anything (there are a lot of pictures of her throughout the book)

milge Sun 02-Jan-05 22:43:26

I got jamie's dinners, and gordon ramsay kitchen heaven. Tried GR's french onion soup, but added sherry not sherry vinegar, and ignored instruction to boil it, as i was taught that " a soup boiled is a soup spoiled". It was yum, and book ishighly recommended. haven't tried any of JO's, but think the pumpkin laska soup will be first.

AuntyQuated Sun 02-Jan-05 22:45:20

oh, did the JO's slow-cooked lamb---done in a bottle of red wine!!!
it was delicious. try it

happynewessbee Sun 02-Jan-05 22:45:24

Message withdrawn

Gwenick Sun 02-Jan-05 22:45:40

If anyone dares to buy me a cookery book I'll shoot 'em quite happy with my weekly recipes emails

Tonights was Spicy Sweet Potatoe and Smoke Sausage Soup - served with bread (home made of course

AuntyQuated Sun 02-Jan-05 22:46:48

i love cheese SB but don't have a nything to swap

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 22:49:04

I asked for, and got, Jamie's Dinners from Dh's grandparents. 've flicked through it and there's several things I fancy making. Not had the chance yet though - maybe next weekend???

MarsLady Sun 02-Jan-05 22:51:44

Didn't get any Hinted like mad, ended up telling everyone that I wanted Jamie's dinners. Even told them that it was half price in Waterstones and even cheaper from the Book People online. Alas, alack and woe is me. Have to buy it myself.

ThomCat Sun 02-Jan-05 23:06:19

Dean and Deluca cookbook

Blossomhill Sun 02-Jan-05 23:10:22

My sister got me a beginners cook book. I need it as well

Frizbe Sun 02-Jan-05 23:12:31

I got a beginers cook book off a friend, not quite sure why, didn't think my cooking was that bad?! (Have a feeling it was an unwanted gift to her!)

happynewessbee Mon 03-Jan-05 00:23:42

Message withdrawn

popsycal Mon 03-Jan-05 14:00:08

ahem.....dh;s grandparetns gave me 2 of their very very old cookery books - one be-ro one (which is great!) and one tatty old one entitled - things to make with cheese

bless them

Millie1 Mon 03-Jan-05 21:55:06

Had birthday and Christmas within a month and got Jamie's Dinners, Nigella's Feast, River Cottage meat book, a M&S Chinese book and one other which I can't remember! You'd almost think I enjoyed cooking!

From Jamie's book, tried his chicken stirfry done with chilli and noodles - gorgeous; the duck legs cooked with star anise, five spice etc - nice, very rich but recipe called for 3 or 4 tablesps of soy sauce which, to my mind, made it far too salty.

Nigella ... only tried her cranberry cookies and they are gorgeous - DH emptied the tin within a couple of days .

Blossomhill Tue 04-Jan-05 08:39:43

Frizbe, unfortunately mine is really bad

lulupop Tue 04-Jan-05 09:03:20

I got Nigella's Feast too.

I want to make nearly everything in it. So far have made the chocolate loaf cake (yum yum), ham cooked in cranberry and apple juice ( very tasty), mini apple pies and downstairs I have waiting a Chocolate Malteser Cake, which I say I made for DS's little friend, but really just because I want to try it!

Pidge Tue 04-Jan-05 09:24:34

Green and Blacks Chocolate Recipe book ... just reading it is heavenly ... and the chocolate shortbread swirl biscuits were divine!

Also got National Trust puddings recipe book from MIL ... subtitle "Traditional ways to your man's heart"!!!!!

flatmouse Tue 04-Jan-05 09:27:17

I got Nigella's "Feast" too, and am enjoying reading it, as well as looking at the recipes. Not made anything yet - i'll get there eventually!

handlemecarefully Tue 04-Jan-05 09:52:30

Ainsley Harriott's : All New Meals in Minutes.

I need quick easy to prepare recipes. Don't all mums? Have tried a couple already - and they are very good.

AuntyQuated Fri 21-Jan-05 16:54:05

update all????

AuntyQuated Fri 21-Jan-05 16:55:52

just scuttled off to find book

Ainsley's F & F book
cheesy haddock and prawn pie...DELICIOUS... altho' a bit rich as sauce made with a point of monl and half a pint of double cream

romantick Fri 21-Jan-05 16:56:40

the question should be if you get a cook book how long does it take before you put it away in the draw and forget about it

Sponge Fri 21-Jan-05 16:59:12

None. Bugger. Love new cookery books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now