loader

Talk

Advanced search

Need a good beef stroganoff/cassarole recipe

(13 Posts)
sallyhollyberry Mon 27-Dec-04 01:57:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TwasTheNightBeforeCatbert Mon 27-Dec-04 09:01:48

Well, strog is either a question of VERY good (and therefore probably expensive) beef, fried quickly with softened onions and mushrooms, with the addition of soured cream for serving with rice (or wild rice is a nice "posh" alternative). OR, I quite often do it using braising steak, but cook it slowly for a few hours with the onions in some stock in the oven, and then add the soured cream and serve. It's always guaranteed to be nice and tender, and you can do heaps, because the meat is much cheaper.

Oooh - may be early, but now am hankering after some myself - it's one of my favourites!

Or of course, just take your stewing/braising beef, and put with some stock, baby onions, red wine, or guinness (and any other stewing veg you fancy) cook slow for a few hours with lid tightly on and serve with scrummy mashed pots and a green veg.

Gobbledigoose Mon 27-Dec-04 11:24:26

Ooh, this sounds nice. So, Catbert, do you literally just fry the beef with onions and mushrooms and add soured cream? Is that it really?! Sounds nice and easy! Does it not have anything else in?

TwasTheNightBeforeCatbert Mon 27-Dec-04 11:33:03

It's really that easy. {smile} The trouble you have to go to is to find really good steak and cut into very thin strips! And you could probably use good flavoured mushrooms, chestnuts, or something "posher"!!!

TwasTheNightBeforeCatbert Mon 27-Dec-04 11:33:18

even!!!

sallyhollyberry Mon 27-Dec-04 11:51:54

sallyhollyberry Mon 27-Dec-04 16:11:02

Gobbledigoose Mon 27-Dec-04 16:18:19

Ooh, don't I'm starving!!! sat here working and just had a bowl of krispies to keep me going . HATE working.

Harrysmom Mon 27-Dec-04 16:23:58

I always add a good glug of ale or guinness when Im brasing steak, gives it that little extra flavour (then I drink the remainder of the guinness of ale!!)

sallyhollyberry Mon 27-Dec-04 19:22:11

TwasTheNightBeforeCatbert Mon 27-Dec-04 19:36:23

Hurrah!

Gobbledigoose Tue 28-Dec-04 12:23:40

Doing Stroganoff tonight - thanks for the tips! Dh is out now searching out the best steak!

Gobbledigook Tue 28-Dec-04 20:59:06

Thanks for recipe - it was yummy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now