Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what do you roast your potatoes in?

(16 Posts)
LadyPenelope Wed 22-Dec-04 13:45:42

The MN cooks were such stars with inspiration for my Xmas Eve dinner that I thought I'd try another one...
Cannot buy lard in Singapore so I was planning on roasting potatoes and parsnips in sunflower oil. Is this going to taste any good? Any other ideas gratefully received. Thought I could try and add some turkey fat for flavour?

throckenrobin Wed 22-Dec-04 13:47:24

we use sunflower oil and it is fine ! And yes - use the juices from the turkey to add flavour.

CountessDingDongDrac Wed 22-Dec-04 13:50:46

the oven.....

LadyPenelope Wed 22-Dec-04 13:51:21

that was fast. Thanks! Don't do roasties normally but LOVE them so want them to turn out well!

TheHollyAndTheTwiglett Wed 22-Dec-04 13:51:32

round the turkey

then more in a roasting tin with pre-heated olive oil

cranberryjampot Wed 22-Dec-04 13:52:42

what about coating them with a mustard mixture for a nice little kick

Hulababy Wed 22-Dec-04 13:58:33

I cook my roasties underneath the cooking chicken or joint - Jamie Oliver style. Gives them lots of flavour according to DH. I have no idea as I do my separate with olive oil and rosemary - as I don't eat meat.

StNickschik Wed 22-Dec-04 14:59:25

I used Sunflower Oil too. I think a lot of how they turn out depends on the type of spud - if you want crispy ones uses a floury/crumbly one and a high-ish temp.

alexsmum Wed 22-Dec-04 15:07:23

anyone tried goosefat? have read it's meant to be good.don't know if its worth trying.

marzipan Wed 22-Dec-04 15:14:07

Yes - have used goose fat and they are fab but v. fattening - but who cares

blossomgoodwill Wed 22-Dec-04 15:14:58

I useolive oil and olive spread. Add a little salt and pepper

alexsmum Wed 22-Dec-04 15:16:23

oh i don't car about the fattening thing at xmas!!! might buy a tin of it when i do the shop tonight then.

merrymarthamoo Wed 22-Dec-04 15:26:49

Damn, I was going to say the oven too...

EpiffanyFeast Wed 22-Dec-04 16:17:40

goose fatand king edwards for xmas
or thick chicken bouillon (spuds go too soggy for my liking in the same tin as meat) mixed with hot olive or sunflower oil and then fluffed spuds put onto the hot tray
perfect every time.

WigWamBam Wed 22-Dec-04 16:35:50

Olive oil or sunflower oil - but that's because I'm vegetarian so won't cook them under a roast. My dh would much prefer something like goose fat.

blossomgoodwill Wed 22-Dec-04 22:38:29

I don't know why but the thought of goose fat makes me feel really sick [yuk]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now