Talk

Advanced search

Vegan Christmas Dinner....is it possible?

(13 Posts)
Juliehafrancis Tue 21-Dec-04 07:31:51

My brother is staying at my parents over the christmas period and as I am cooking Christmas Lunch for the whole family that includes my brother!

Does anyone have anything that I can cook for him that won't be too much hassle considering I am already cooking Lunch for 10 people!

Help!!!!!

WideWebWitch Tue 21-Dec-04 07:45:53

Well here are the recipes I've got on my PC (I made my mum a homemade cookbook for her birthday once!) that are vegan, I think.

Beefless Bolognase? You could make in advance and just heat on the day to have with the potatoes you're cooking for everyone else (keep some not cooked in animal fat)

"Makes 8 adult portions

60 ml/4 tablespoons olive oil
175 g/6 oz button mushrooms, quartered
1 large onion, chopped
30 ml/2 tablespoons tomato puree
2 cloves garlic, crushed
150 ml/5 fl oz red wine
1 tablespoon chopped basil
15 ml/1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
scant teaspoon dried oregano
salt and black pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
225 g/8 oz can chopped tomatoes
1 carrot, peeled and diced
2 x 400 g/l4 oz cans brown lentils, drained
1 stick celery, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped

Heat the oil, add the onion, garlic, basil, oregano and bay leaf and fry until the onions are transparent. Add the carrot, celery and red pepper, cook for a few minutes, then add the mushrooms. When the mushrooms begin to wilt, stir in the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for approximately 40 minutes.

Or Elizabeth David's stuffed peppers? Here:

"Stuffed sweet peppers, whether in France, Italy, England or anywhere else, very often become a very heavy and stodgy dish. The common mistake is to cram the peppers too full with too solid and rich a mixture. This recipe, said to be of Corsican origin, makes a good dish to serve as a hot first course, and shows how small a quantity of stuffing is necessary for peppers.

Ingredients are 4 large red or green sweet peppers, 1 teacup of rice, olive oil, lemon juice, 2 to 3 tablespoons of finely-chopped parsley mixed with a little marjoram or wild thyme, salt and freshly-milled pepper. Boil the rice, keeping it a little undercooked. Drain and season it; stir in the parsley mixture, some lemon juice and a little olive oil. Cut the peppers in half lengthways. Remove all the core and seeds and rinse the peppers under running cold water to make sure that no single seed is left. Put 2 tablespoons of the rice mixture into each half pepper; pour a film of olive oil into a shallow baking dish, put in the stuffed peppers, cover them and cook in a gentle oven, Gas No.3, 330 deg. F., for about an hour. From time to time baste the peppers with the oil in the dish, adding more if necessary. The rice should remain moist, and no hard crust should form on the top. There should be ample for four. The dish is usually served hot but is also good cold as an hors-d'oeuvre."

Or falafel, you could also make the day before:
"Makes 12

400 g/l4 oz can chickpeas, rinsed
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
1 small onion, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
I small red pepper, seeded, finely chopped and steamed til tender
1 free-range egg, beaten
a little flour for coating
1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
15 ml/1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Place the first seven ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and work to a coarse puree. Add the egg and blend again briefly to combine. Divide the mixture into 12 and, using the palms of your hands, shape into little 'sausages'. Roll each lightly in flour and chill for 30 minutes. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the falafel over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, turning frequently, until golden. Serve with tomato puree"

Watch the egg quantities though, this amount was too sticky for me.

WideWebWitch Tue 21-Dec-04 07:47:40

Or some here but I think quite a few have cheese in them

WideWebWitch Tue 21-Dec-04 07:49:24

But I bet there are loads on The Vegetarian Society site

ernest Tue 21-Dec-04 08:36:28

surely just serve up all the veg, paxo cooked seperate, which you can do for everyone so no extra hassle & go to health food shop & get a ready made main meal, which you can just boil/zap in microwave/bung in oven. No extra time or hassle needed.

Is he a vegan that does or does not like pretendy meat? That's the only Q. i certainly wouldn't be arsed to go making anything from scratch

hoxtonturkey Tue 21-Dec-04 08:45:43

ummm, www's falafel recipe has egg in it so wouldn't be suitable for a vegan. not sure if you can get egg substitute.

WideWebWitch Tue 21-Dec-04 09:02:02

Oh, true, Hoxtonturkey! I think the egg's mainly for binding it all together isn't it so couldn't you substitute water? Or you could see what it's like without it, IIRC this recipe is sloppier than I would make it.

hoxtonturkey Tue 21-Dec-04 09:02:44

you can buy very good falafel mixes from sainsbury's....

WideWebWitch Tue 21-Dec-04 09:03:46

Well that would be even easier! Juliehafrancis, why don't you see what Messrs Waitrose and Spencer can offer?

hoxtonturkey Tue 21-Dec-04 09:06:22

Holland & Barrett are good for vegi ready meals too. Though maybe not special enough for Christmas.

noddyholder Tue 21-Dec-04 09:15:01

Loads of really nice roasted veg.falafels and veg gravy should be fine cover everything in olive oil garlic and balsamic abd it'll be delicious Give him enough wine and he won't care!

DoesntChristmasDragOn Tue 21-Dec-04 09:23:38

Just remember not to cook your roast potatoes in goose fat!

ernest Tue 21-Dec-04 09:36:11

I used to get a delicious pretendy turkey joint from H & B, so had slices of "meat" pluas the rest of normal dinner (roast tatties cooked in veg oil, stuffing done seperateetc) so had basically same as everyone else. H& B does v. big range, even vegan Christmas puds too, so shouldn't be difficult

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: