Talk

Advanced search

haggis for a 9 mo

(20 Posts)
TracyK Sun 19-Dec-04 10:29:04

too spicy do you think??

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Sun 19-Dec-04 10:30:14

no should be fine - would only give a little though as it's quite salty as well.
I want a haggis now!! Haven't had it for ages!

cab Sun 19-Dec-04 10:32:25

I would say too spicy.

TracyK Sun 19-Dec-04 10:34:45

I have a craving for haggis too - and I bought a nice turnip/swede from the market yesterday - so nothing beats haggis and turnip.
HV always says - feed lo's what you eat yourself - so maybe a little haggis for ds and lots for dh and I tonight.

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Sun 19-Dec-04 10:37:25

ohhhh haggis neaps and tatties!! I wonder if the butcher is open today....... lol I have always given it to dd and she was fine with it

TracyK Sun 19-Dec-04 10:49:12

tesco and waitrose sell MacSweens haggis - they are just as good as butchers. and maybe sainsburys too. m&s version pretty good too.
I could be soooooo piggy and add a nice steak pie on the plate too.

TracyK Sun 19-Dec-04 17:40:00

just had it and it went down well with ds - poor girls at nursery tomorrow - who may get the first nappy!!

MistltAeroAndWine Sun 19-Dec-04 17:42:42

Could someone please explain what exactly the contents of haggis are - I will have a bucket at the ready as the very word makes me heave!

happymerryberries Sun 19-Dec-04 17:50:58

Found this on the net for you

1 sheep's lung (illegal in the U.S.; may be omitted if not available)
1 sheep's stomach
1 sheep heart
1 sheep liver
1/2 lb fresh suet (kidney leaf fat is preferred)
3/4 cup oatmeal (the ground type, NOT the Quaker Oats type!)
3 onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup stock

I love them! I tend to bake them rather than boil them and serve them with a bit of whisky poured on top with mashed tatties and turnip. Yum!

MistltAeroAndWine Sun 19-Dec-04 17:52:33

Yup - thought I'd need that bucket - my fears have been confirmed!
I take my hat off to all you who can stomach it!

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Sun 19-Dec-04 17:52:47

Have a look here

What makes you heave?? Haggis is the most delicious thing on the planet when made with neaps and tatties!

happymerryberries Sun 19-Dec-04 17:57:28

Agree with yuo Zeph! They are wonderful and I'm not even a scot! MIL always brings me a Mcsweens when she visits us......haggis relief!

MistltAeroAndWine Sun 19-Dec-04 17:58:05

All that offal Zephyr! Might be able to manage the vegetarian type though if pushed!

OnZephyrstdayofXmas Sun 19-Dec-04 18:13:29

I don't think they're made quite as gruesomely these days as they were traditionally.
Could be wrong though - still soooooo yummy!!
What about all the burgers made from lips'n'bums???!!!!

MistltAeroAndWine Mon 20-Dec-04 20:35:49

Yuk, yuk, yuk!

blossomgoodwill Mon 20-Dec-04 20:36:58

I can't stomach the thought of eating offal (sp?). It's disgusting!!!!!

sleepdeprived Mon 20-Dec-04 20:38:35

DS has been fine with all spices since well before 9 months - other than chilli, which I havent tried yet. I love haggis. Just watch out for the salt.

Those of you who say you couldnt stomach it - it's just the idea that puts you off! I bet if you didn't know what was in it you'd love it - it's delicious!

TheHollyAndTheTwiglett Mon 20-Dec-04 20:39:00

babies love spicy food IME .. but I would've thought that haggis was too salty for a 9 month old

TracyK Mon 20-Dec-04 21:45:44

well ds had leftovers for dinner tonight and he loved it - he also slept 13 hours last night - so maybe it's a miracle food. Mashed it all up with loads of potato and turnip - so hopefully not too salty.

bensmum3 Thu 23-Dec-04 10:44:43

Hi,
just thought i'd add my ds now 18 months has been eating haggis with us since he started on solids at 8 months,he's very healthy and he loves it !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now