Talk

Advanced search

!Help emergency! Need basic risotto recipe that does NOT need standing over

(10 Posts)
FlossieT Wed 06-Feb-08 14:36:41

I have foolishly decided to try to make risotto this evening.

BUT I don't have time (or enough hands) to do any of the traditional ones that require you to stand over them for about 20 minutes as that is about 4 times as long as it will take the kids to turn Lord of the Flies on me.

I need to do a basic, plain risotto that I can leave unattended and add bits to later (the kids want prawns but DP is allergic).

Any ideas??

Yours hopefully, Floss.

damewashalot Wed 06-Feb-08 14:39:36

May well get shot down for this but I'm far too lazy to stand stirring so always just chuck lots of stock in and stir every now and thenblush it tastes okgrin

leesmum Wed 30-Jul-08 13:19:56

I know its not quite a risotto but i've been known to buy a big packet of savoury rice and add all sorts to it, sausages sliced up and fried, diced chicken, prawns and lots of peppers, onions and pleanty of veg. It's a quick and cheap dinner.

WilfSell Wed 30-Jul-08 13:23:33

Delia has a mushroom risotto recipe that you can bake in the oven: works a treat but don't have it to hand so you might need to google... I imagine you can adapt for other ingredients. Basic principle is do a little bit of stirring after you've fried off onions, butter and allowed rice to soak up juices, bit of stock, then chuck in rest of stock (which was half wine, half juice from reconsituted dried porcini mushrooms IIRC)

But you'll prolly need exact amounts of stock so it doesn't go dry so please google it...

saladsucks Wed 30-Jul-08 13:26:18

Delia's spring veg risotto is even easier than the mushroom one and goes in the oven.

Basically you cook onions in butter. Add the rice. Add the stock. Put in oven for 20 minutes. Take out, add chopped green veg (whatever you can find) and cheese and then put back in oven for 20 minutes.

Tastes amazing and looks difficult.

Kewcumber Wed 30-Jul-08 13:27:40

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2818/ovenbaked-risotto-

This is delicious I made it last week. don;t cut the cherry toms in half leave them whole and you could use chicken or salmon or prawns instead. I also added peas towards the end and fried leeks with the onion.

girlandboy Wed 30-Jul-08 13:28:54

Did one the other night.

Fried onion, added uncooked rice, added 1 pint of chicken stock. Brought to the boil, put lid on and reduce to simmer. 5 minutes before the end, added chopped pepper & frozen peas, leftover cooked chicken and a bit of chopped ham.

Wouldn't exactly say it's a traditional risotto, but it was yummy and dead easy. Don't need to stand over it either. grin

Sibh Mon 04-Aug-08 18:43:46

Tana Ramsay has a great butternut squash one that you bung in the oven. Haven't got got the book to hand but it is a real winner.

Califrau Mon 04-Aug-08 18:47:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hairtwiddler Mon 04-Aug-08 21:47:15

Too late for you but in case it helps in future recipe on this thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now