Talk

Advanced search

Tell me abour brown rice and pasta.

(10 Posts)
GreatAuntieWurly Wed 16-Jan-08 11:22:45

DS1 started the MEND programme last night and we was told to try and convert from white bread, rice and pasta to brown. Well the bread will be fine but I'm a little more concerned about the rice and pasta and getting ds's to eat it.

any advice???

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 16-Jan-08 11:24:28

Hi wurly ! can't say I like wholemeal pasta - far too heavy, but brown rice is ok...I guess make it taste really nice with lots of flavours

MerlinsBeard Wed 16-Jan-08 11:26:40

i found brown pasta really heavy as well. however, i mix it with white and it goes down better, means i need a smaller portion too!

LoveAngel Wed 16-Jan-08 11:26:51

I'm not overly keen on either, but I try to swap white for wholewheat at least half the time. DS loves wholewheat pasta and bread (doesn't notcie the difference), but point blank refuses brown rice. I'm happy enough with that. try it out now and then, rather than make a huge sweeping change in his diet all at once, and see how you get on.

CatIsSleepy Wed 16-Jan-08 11:27:04

yup brown pasta is bleurgh-the texture is just wrong

brown rice is nice actually- I prefer it sometimes, just takes longer to cook. it's nice with curries and sti-fries.

GreatAuntieWurly Wed 16-Jan-08 11:27:26

I was gonna have a go cooking both white and brown and mixing it when its cooked and see if they will eat it like that.

CatIsSleepy Wed 16-Jan-08 11:27:39

stir-fries I mean

candypandy Wed 16-Jan-08 11:27:39

Have done this with success. With mine I did it gradually. A bit of brown rice to the white then more and more until it's all brown rice (apologise if this is statement of the bleedin' obvious). The pasta I just switched over immediately as it's usually covered in sauce anyway. It fills them up more and they don't get that sort of sugar hit. But the one I've had the most trouble with is the bread! Doesn't help that dh likes white sliced and gets cross with me for filling the house up with raffia loaves and feels sorry for the children. I cannot get mine to eat wholemeal bread at all.

Zog Wed 16-Jan-08 11:27:46

Yum! There's definitely some wholewheat pastas that are lighter than others - would recommend that you try a few. Also, try cooking both and mixing them together for a while.

hanaflower Wed 16-Jan-08 11:39:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: