Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fabulous Pudding Recipes?

(33 Posts)
spacemonkey Wed 24-Nov-04 07:13:05

My contribution to christmas dinner this year is making the puddings. I'm not making xmas pudding (don't really like it, I might buy a nice one for those that do) but I would like to make three puddings:

- a trifle
- little pots of chocolate mousse, as rich as possible
- something with apples or rhubarb

I can make a good sherry trifle, but rather fancy the idea of doing a variation on the trifle theme. Maybe an Italian trifle with amaretti and lemoncello or something like that? Anyone got any ideas?

Also want to find a recipe for a very rich choc mousse to make in little pots.

And any suggestions for a fabulous apple or rhubarb pudding that I can prep in advance?

TIA for any ideas x

SoupDragon Wed 24-Nov-04 07:46:34

Easy Peasy chocolate mouse: 1 tub marscapone cheese, 1 200g bar plain chocolate. Melt chocolate, add knob of butter, add brandy, remove from heat, stir in marscapone, pour into individual ramekin dishes (guess you could set in one bowl though) and leave to set in fridge for a few hours or even over night.

The filling for Jamie Oliver's Simple Chocolate Tart works well served in individual ramekins. It's meant to be poured into a pastry case but I've done it with a digestive biscuit crumb base and also with no base at all.

315ml/11fl oz double cream (the brandy cream they sell at Christmas works well!)
2 level tablespoons caster sugar
tiny pinch of salt
115g/4oz butter, softened
455g/1lb best quality cooking chocolate broken up (I use a mix of milk & plain as it's very rich with all plain!)
100ml/3.75 fl oz milk
cocoa powder for dusting.

Place cream, sugar and salt in a pan and bring to the boil. Remove from heat immediately and add chocolate and butter. Stir until melted. Cool slightly and add the milk, stirring until smooth and shiney. It can look as if it's split at this point. Cool a bit more and whisk in a little extra milk until smooth. Scrap all the mixtture into whatever you're serving it in. Bang the dish(es) on the table to level it out and chill until set. Heaven in a pot!

Obviously you'll need to try them before deciding which to go for.

clary Wed 24-Nov-04 07:46:48

sm my fave cho mousse is actually very simple, it's Delia's recipe, one egg to (i think) 50g of choc, use the best you can get, 50% cocoa or even 70% if you like; melt choc and beat in egg yolk, beat egg white to stiffness and then fold in egg/choc mixture (you can be quite firm to make sure it's all folded in).
Put into ramekins and chill!
cream on top if you like.

spacemonkey Wed 24-Nov-04 07:48:04

mmm thank you, those recipes all sound FABULOUS

and as you say i will obviously have to test all of these extensively before christmas

SoupDragon Wed 24-Nov-04 07:48:23

Eeek! My first recipe is not for chocolate mouse. It's not even a mousse really, they're both "pot au chocolate" type desserts.

spacemonkey Wed 24-Nov-04 07:50:28

pot au chocolate is what i meant, i couldn't remember what to call it

am not normally up at this ungodly hour

SoupDragon Wed 24-Nov-04 07:54:56

I am

SoupDragon Wed 24-Nov-04 07:56:01

I know what they're called because Tescos do a fantastic on in their Finest range which comes in a lovely little terracotta pot. I have lots of little terracotta pots now to make my own versions in .

Frizbe Wed 24-Nov-04 08:16:24

This months sainsburys mag has a trifle with a difference in it, you'll have to buy the mag tho, as I just flicked thru at the checkout!

hoxtonchick Wed 24-Nov-04 08:36:24

those tesco ones are fab aren't they soupy. you could always pass them off as your own SM!

SoupDragon Wed 24-Nov-04 09:25:44

The marscapone and chocolate recipe is so easy you don't need to cheat. Especially when you have as many empty Tescos pots as I do...

I'm going to have to go and buy marscapone and chocolate now.

SoupDragon Wed 24-Nov-04 09:38:36

How about Panetonne Trifle?

MancMum Wed 24-Nov-04 10:27:28

the best trifle ever is ne of nigella s from domestic goddess - lemons sponge sokaed in lemon syrup and then covered with sylabub and the raspberries all over it... totally divine... can ge recipe if you want it...

also try her Rhubabrb fool... with the shortbread biscuits ... made it over the summer and it was divine...

spacemonkey Wed 24-Nov-04 10:27:55

YES PLEASE MANCMUM!

MancMum Wed 24-Nov-04 10:36:33

OK will get it for you tonight - at work now!

MancMum Thu 25-Nov-04 10:09:20

sorry dd not post last night - actually went out... promise to do so tonight

spacemonkey Thu 25-Nov-04 10:10:04

is ok MancMum - if you can post the recipes I'd be grateful, but I will see if I can find them on the nigella website to save you the bother!

SoupDragon Thu 25-Nov-04 10:20:50

It's called Lemon-Raspberry Plate Trifle. You need to make her lemon syup cake first (which is delicious in itself!) with extra syrup.

SoupDragon Thu 25-Nov-04 10:21:44

Here I think.

SoupDragon Thu 25-Nov-04 10:24:12

And here's the cake recipe which is well worth trying on it's own!

spacemonkey Thu 25-Nov-04 10:24:28

mmmmmmmmmmm thanks soupy

MancMum Thu 25-Nov-04 12:46:29

soupy thanks for that - I could not find it when I did a quick search! I really recommend it and am gong to make it again this weekend - just came across the bottle of sherry I used to make it last time...

The rhubabrb fool is great as well - my DS saw it in a book a few days ago and asked me to make it again - high praise indeed as he ususally hates anything that is not branded with kids logos!!

MancMum Thu 25-Nov-04 12:47:33

wow - found it - read down this link

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,9950,853610,00.html

GORGEOUS!!

spacemonkey Tue 30-Nov-04 16:36:08

THANK YOU!!!!

SoupDragon Thu 02-Dec-04 12:34:40

How's the testing going?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now